Exclusion markers --> audio montage

In the process of editing a concert recording, I had been planning on the following workflow:

• Do all “housekeeping” edits (normalization, panorama) on the original audio file

• Set and name CD title markers in the audio file

• Put exclusion markers in the empty sections between tracks/movements

• Create an audio montage from the file using the CD markers

• Do the editing/mixing/rendering from Audio montage

This all worked very nicely with the exception of the exclusion markers. It would have been nice if those had actually been excluded from the montage so the only thing I’d still have to do would be tweaking the overlaps between tracks. But the markers are ignored. Could this be an option?

Thanks,
Tim

P.S.: I briefly toyed with the idea of creating CD track markers with gaps between them in hopes of achieving the desired result. However, when I try to set a “CD Track End” marker in the middle of a file, a “CD track end/start” double marker is automatically created instead…

Hi!

Try with “Audio in Pauses mode” and/or with CD Splice Markers
read about it in the WL manual, maybe this will do what you need :slight_smile:

regards S-EH

It would have been nice if those had actually been excluded from the montage

I don’t understand your case. What prevent you from deleting them? (there is a dialog to do this in one go).

My thought process was the following: If I delete the sections in the audio file, it’s a destructive edit. If I were to find out during the montage that I’m having trouble crossfading the tracks, I wouldn’t be able to change the deleted region. That’s why I thought it would be helpful to carry the exclusion markers over to the montage.

Maybe it’s an XY problem, and my way of doing it is wrong. I’ll take a look at CD Splice Markers; I was unfamiliar with the term, but it sounds promising.

Edit: Oh, aren’t CD splice markers exactly those “end of track/start of new track markers” I was referring to earlier?

That’s why I thought it would be helpful to carry the exclusion markers over to the montage.

Why not, but then where is the problem?

The exclusion markers are gone when I create a montage from a file with exclusion markers. Only the CD track markers remain.

I see. Exclusion markers would need to be imported in a future version.

I would suggest the following change to your workflow, though it would be nice to be able to carry over the exclusion markers.
Simply go to the montage after step 1, forget about exclusion markers and make (non-destructive) cuts in the audio file. Slide and move clips to your liking with crossfades and then continue with CD-markers etc.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks!