First time posting here,
First of all, I’m switching from Sibelius and I’m absolutely flabbergasted by the quality of Dorico. So props to any and all involved who might read this. I haven’t been this excited about notation software in a long time .
I’ve already read and played with a ton of settings, but am encountering a few time-wasting automatic actions. I’d like to see if I can fix them by default.
- I’m importing some of my old scores to learn the program. Some XMLs already have parts hard-combined in the score (flt. 1, 2 ob. 1, 2, etc.) The parts xmls are outdated or simply missing, and I don’t mind working from score to learn the program.
- I’m turning every condensed part into multiple single players in Dorico, so I’m using the explode feature quite a bit.
- To test things, I generally copy an entire movement, then explode into two empty staves.
- This fails on two counts. First, and most importantly, if I explode music containing ONE NOTE into two staves, the staff that didn’t receive a note will automatically check the “Ends voice” box in the Notes and Rests field. This is time consuming to then correct each instance so I can continue editing that staff. Any way to automatically change this behavior would be very helpful.
- Second, if the original combined part is written as both multi-voice (independent), and one voice (a dyad with stems in same direction), Dorico seems to explode the first method it sees correctly, then fails on the second method. I think this may be a moot point since I’ll be using separate players and condensing in the future, but I thought I’d mention it.