Export Audio Mixdown using external VST

Brian,
These Monitor buttons:
are used when you want to listen to the Input source of that track.
So it switches what you are listening to between “live playing” and what is recorded on that track.
Once you’re done recording on a track, this button should not be engaged.

1 Like

Can you please follow this step-by-step?

1. Create a new blank project. Not based on a template.
  2. Go over your Audio Connections and set up the external instrument as before.
  3. Create a new Instrument track for your Roland digital piano.
  4. Enable both “Record Enable” and “Monitor” buttons on the newly created track.
  5. Play something on your piano and verify that audio is coming in on the Instrument Track and that it comes out on your “Stereo Out” bus.
  6. If all is groovy, proceed by recording some piano extravaganza.
  7. Disable both “Record Enable” and “Monitor” buttons on the Instrument Track.
  8. Playback your MIDI recording.

Is sound going through the Stereo Out bus?

I’ve done all that you have said and before recording anything, the sound of the piano was coming through my headphones that are connected to the headphone socket of my Audiobox interface. However, after recording a a few bars, there was no sound on playback either on my headphones or the piano. This is the current screenshot.

Do you have any idea how I can resolve this, so that I can hear the playback? Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Brian

Hi Brian,

You Presonus AudioBox normally has a Mix knob which is used to choose between the monitoring of the direct inputs of the interface or the computer return. In order to be able to hear the audio from the computer you need to make sure the knob is turned completely to the right.

Now in Cubase, under the Outputs tab of the Audio Connections window, you normally have set an output bus with the AudioBox physical outputs selected.

Click the e on your Instrument Track to open the Channel Settings and :

1. Make sure the Output bus is selected,
  2. Make sure the Direct Routing column is visible, if it is not visible click the gearbox in the top right corner and enable it,
  3. If the output is not green in Direct Routing, click it until it becomes green,
  4. Make sure the output channel isn’t Muted and fader isn’t down.

Does that mean you plugged the headphones into the piano and there wasn’t any sound either ?
In that case this must be a MIDI issue, you should see if the piano has specific settings for receiving MIDI. My guess is that it isn’t set up correctly for reading incoming MIDI from a computer.

I’ve opened one of my previous projects, which was recorded with midi only, and that is playing back perfectly through my piano, so obviously it’s recognising midi alright. I’ve just opened a new blank project and recorded on the instrument track, which shows the midi, but there’s no sound on playback. I have also connected audio cables from the Audiobox main out sockets to the audio inputs of the piano, which I hadn’t done previously, but they were connected before this latest trial recording, but there is still no sound on playback. I’ll attach another screenshot as it was during this latest test. I know I’m a real pain, but this output thing is really puzzling. I must be doing something wrong, but what?!! Hopefully you might be able to recommend a way of resolving the problem. Best regards, Brian

I’ve just tried doing a Render in Place to see if it needed and audio track, but the audio track called Stereo Out (R) has no recorded sound, just straight lines and no sound on playback of course. This is the screenshot after I did that.

After a few days break from Cubase version 11, I’m again trying to test some existing midi recordings in order to add an audio track. The attached two screenshots show how it is set up and the midi track plays back with sound on my Roland GP607 piano.

As was suggested, I added an instrumental track, left-clicked on original midi track and dragged it into the instrument track. However, I can no longer hear any sound on playback. The next screenshot is as it is at this stage.

I now Ctrl+right click on the new track and select Render in Place and then Render (with Current Settings), but it’s not responding. I’ve tried rebooting the computer and getting back to where I just was, but it’s still not responding. This next screenshot shows the render current settings.

Can you please help me further?

I’ve just overcome that problem because I had failed to set the instrument in the Inspector of the new audio track. So, it has Rendered in Place, but did not playback any sound while it was rendering and the new audio Stereo Out (R) track has no visual sound waves, just straight lines. This has been a continual problem, which I have not been able to overcome. This screenshot shows the result of the rendering in place.

Your External Instrument isn’t set up properly, it shows “No Link” in the MIDI Device column. I think you should click on it and select the piano MIDI input, that’s basically the reason why you can’t hear anything on playback, since the MIDI data isn’t sent anywhere…

Also why do you have 2 instruments in there ?
If there’s a duplicate then remove it so that it looks cleaner and less confusing already.

In the Audio Connections, I opened MIDI Device Manager and then Install Device, but my GP607 (Roland) is not included in the drop-down list. I previously had to use a different Roland device and then rename it as GP607. However,perhaps that’s part of the problem if that other Roland device is not compatible with my piano. If I double click on Define New, it brings up a page Create New MIDI Device. I’ve called the new device GP607 (Roland). I’ve added that as the MIDI Device in the Audio Connections. I’ve just tried Render in Place and still no playback sound and the Stereo Out (R) track has no audio signal and has straight lines again. What am I doing wrong?!!

Brian,
to what are the audio outputs of your GP607 physically connected?

Still the Audiobox?

Of course it isn’t compatible, since they are two different devices… Just remove the duplicate entry to remove the confusion.
Please open the MIDI Device Manager and make sure your GP607 is selected in the Output field. On your screenshot the AudioBox is selected, while it should be your GP607 instead ! Currently the MIDI from the Instrument (in Cubase) is being sent to the MIDI output of your AudioBox, but nothing is connected to it ! Since there is no MIDI DIN connector on your GP607, the MIDI is necessarily transmitted via USB, so I assume your GP607 is already connected to the computer via USB, as you are already able to record MIDI.

Thanks again Louis. As it’s rather late in the evening, I’ll do what you’ve suggested in the morning sometime. Incidentally, I did try deleting one of the two devices in the Audio Connection, but it wouldn’t let me do so, as it said that both were in use. That sounds a bit strange. Perhaps I could delete one of them by opening a new project, which should then allow me to do the deletion. I’ll be pleased to overcome the problems I’m getting, which are very frustrating, and no doubt you’ll also be pleased to get me off your back !!! Regards, Brian

| Johnny_Moneto
October 25 |

• | - |

Brian,
to what are the audio outputs of your GP607 physically connected?

Hi Johnny, thanks very much for taking an interest in my problem. My audio outputs are connected to the inputs of my Audiobox. The audio outputs of the audiobox are connected to the mini-jack socket input of my GP607 piano. The midi is connected from the square USB socket of the piano direct to a USB socket of my computer. The midi works perfectly in both directions (output from the piano and playback from Cubase). My problem is being able to transfer an audio signal from the piano into Cubase. I don’t think that the piano connection is wrong, but it seems to be Cubase 11 that I’ve set up wrongly.
The strange thing is that I did manage to get an audio track to record properly somewhile back, when Rendering in Place, having dragged a midi track into an instrumental track, but somewhere along the line some settings must have got changed and it’s proved difficult to correct it. I have received very good support from Louis_R of Cubase’s support team and I’m about to make some changes that he suggested last night. Hopefully they might solve the problem.

I’m in the process of trying to change the settings, but it’s proving difficult. The screenshots are for the Inputs and the External Instruments of the Audio Connections. On the External Instruments, how do I add the Midi Device where it says No Link against the GP607 (Roland), which I had deleted, but the test project that I’ve opened states that it can’t find it, so it’s now showing it back on the Audio Connections with a (!).

You are fiddling around and thus not making it better at this stage. Louis asked you to just change the MIDI Output setting for the MIDI device “GP607 (Roland)”. I think that could have been the final step to have everything working.
Now you changed the “External Instrument” tab in the Audio Connections again.
Remove the first External Instrument by right-clicking on the name “GP607” and choosing “Remove External Instrument” from the pop-up menu.
grafik

Afterwards set the audio device for “GP607 (Roland)” to “AudioBox ASIO Driver” and then the ports to “In 1” and “In 2”.

Then go to the MIDI Device dialog and apply the change of the “Selected Device → Output” as seen on last the screenshot from Louis.

Please refrain from changing anything else.

@Louis_R : Congrats for the upgrade from customer to employee. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, Yes, I had been fiddling around, as you put it, because I had tried to do what Louis had kindly suggested, but the drop-down list in the Output box of the MIDI Device Manager did not include GP607 as he had suggested. It only showed the Audiobox and Roland Digital Piano, so I had to select that last one. Having tested the Rendering in Place again, it still didn’t work, hence my ‘fiddling around’. I seem to be going round and round in circles and not achieving anything.I know that Cubase 11 is an excellent program, but it is highly complicated to set up for a layman such as myself, who is just a musician. This screenshot shows how things are at the present time. I now won’t make any changes other than what you suggest.

I do appreciate all the help that you and Louis are offering me and it must be very frustrating for you both that I’m unable to resolve the problem at my end. With your detailed knowledge of the program, it must seem so simple and straightforward. I have been using various previous versions of Cubase for a long time over the years and had recorded my piano playing not realising that it was only recording Midi. I wanted to be able to playback my recordings on other equipment, such as in my car or to send to friends and family for them to hear it and maybe to publish some of it, but I then realised that entailed doing a Rendering in Place to bring in Audio and then to do an Export Audio Mixdown. That is what has highlighted the problem.