Export from Dorico and import to Sibelius

I like Dorico WAY better than Sibelius. But, I have to send someone Sibelius formatted files from time to time. I’ve attached a zip file with two files in it. The Dorico file is what I’ve created. The Sibelius file is what I’d like to get as the end result. As you can see, I managed, but I’m hoping to save some steps. Here’s what I did:

1. Export Dorico flows to MusicXML
  2. Load MusicXML files to Sibelius one at a time, save as individual Sibelius files
  3. Add page title information (it wasn’t maintained in the import / export)
  4. Add system text information (also lost in translation)
  5. (add tempo information – forgot to include tempo in the Dorico file, but it also gets lost)
  6. Append flow 2.sib to flow 1

I’m using Dorico 2.2.10 and Sibelius 7.1.3

In particular, I would like to:

1. Maintain the title text, system text, and tempo information so I don’t have to re-type it all
  2. Bypass all the one-at-a-time stuff

If anyone has ideas for how to speed this up, I would be super grateful.
dorico_to_sibelius.zip (436 KB)

Try printing the Dorico file to a PDF, and using PDFtoMusic Pro to convert it to MusicXML.

The free demo only processes one page at a time, but that should tell you if it does what you need.

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/pdftomusic.htm

Thanks, that worked pretty well on the first page. For anyone else who may be interested, I think you need the $199 Pro version for MusicXML export.

I did some searching and came across this thread which details the various things omitted from Dorico MusicXML export.

I also saw this:

Which is a bit painful to hear, given that I just bought Dorico in the recent crossgrade discount. I’ll just wait and see what the upgrade cost looks like when the next one comes out.

With all due respect, how many free updates do you want?? Those of us who bought 2.0 when it came out have been blown over by the amount of free improvements in the past nine months. 2.2 alone was basically the equivalent of a new version. At some point there has to be a cutoff.

I would love to have an experience closer to yours! Those of us who bought Dorico during the January crossgrade sale have received a great product. It was followed up a couple weeks later by a minor update, which apparently is the last one of this version.

In any case, there’s no point in me speculating what they will or won’t do for future releases. But I would absolutely love to have an experience closer to yours, being blown away by the amount of free improvements.

Look at it a different way. You paid less than the people who bought Dorico 2.0 when it was first released (since you bought it in a sale and they didn’t), right now you have exactly the same version as they have, and (assuming there is no change of plan by the developers) neither of you is going to get any more free upgrades.

Running a sale to “get rid of old stock” is a marketing technique that every shopkeeper has been using for hundreds of years. Steinberg hasn’t just invented a new way of doing business!

A bit like coming late to the party and then complaining that the best hors d’oeuvres are all gone.