Export PDF error: "File Locked" UPDATE

Hello again, So… here is where I’m at. I can export the parts and choral score (in Letter size) with no problems. Exporting to Tabloid (11x17) keeps giving me the error I get found below in my original post. So, if I were to hypothesize: my printer can not print 11x17. Because of this, I’ve noticed in the Page Setup menu in the “Graphics” section of the print window, that Letter is the page size selected and I can’t select 11x17 since it is not an option with my printer. So, I think it is giving me the error, because it is trying to make a 11x17 sized score, but Letter size is selected. For PDF export, my printer’s capabilities should not be a limitation… right? At any rate, I was able to export a PDF in the OS X Dialog and made a custom page size of 11x17 to get it to work. Is there a difference in quality exporting a PDF natively in Dorico vs. exporting a PDF via the OS X “print PDF”? Thanks! Please let me know if I’m on the right track!

“Hello all, I’m trying to export a PDF. The layout that I’m trying to export is in Tabloid. When I try to export the PDF (mono, 150 dpi), I get the following error: QtPrintJob error: Could not initialise file for export (file locked?). Any thoughts? The other layouts are in Letter size. The conductor wants his score in Tabloid (11x17). For what it’s worth, I’m unable to select Tabloid in the Page Setup section of the side menu. Thanks!”

Does that pdf file exist already? When you try to export, do you get a dialog asking to overwrite? Are you then attempting to overwrite, and the existing file is still open in another program, like Adobe Reader?

If so, close the file in the other program before overwriting it.

No, the file does not exist already. Never had an issue with the previous update. I’ll trouble shoot once I get to the studio.

Hello again, So… here is where I’m at. I can export the parts and choral score (in Letter size) with no problems. Exporting to Tabloid (11x17) keeps giving me the error I get found below in my original post. So, if I were to hypothesize: my printer can not print 11x17. Because of this, I’ve noticed in the Page Setup menu in the “Graphics” section of the print window, that Letter is the page size selected and I can’t select 11x17 since it is not an option with my printer. So, I think it is giving me the error, because it is trying to make a 11x17 sized score, but Letter size is selected. For PDF export, my printer’s capabilities should not be a limitation… right? At any rate, I was able to export a PDF in the OS X Dialog and made a custom page size of 11x17 to get it to work. Is there a difference in quality exporting a PDF natively in Dorico vs. exporting a PDF via the OS X “print PDF”? Thanks! Please let me know if I’m on the right track!

“Hello all, I’m trying to export a PDF. The layout that I’m trying to export is in Tabloid. When I try to export the PDF (mono, 150 dpi), I get the following error: QtPrintJob error: Could not initialise file for export (file locked?). Any thoughts? The other layouts are in Letter size. The conductor wants his score in Tabloid (11x17). For what it’s worth, I’m unable to select Tabloid in the Page Setup section of the side menu. Thanks!”

Please don’t start a new topic when you want to update your existing one: just post a reply to your existing topic. I’ve merged your new post into your previous topic. Please post any further replies or updates here.

There’s no meaningful difference in quality between exporting a PDF via Dorico’s own options or the OS Print dialog, though they do use totally different engines.

I guess the path into which you’re saving your files and/or the name of your project is going to be significant. Can you please provide both the full path you’re saving your PDF files into, and zip up and attach your project here so we can look at both its filename, and the names of all of the layouts inside it.

One further thing you could try is to switch on the option in the right-hand print options panel to include the date and time in the filename, which should also guarantee no filename collisions, just in case that is somehow the problem.

Sorry about double posting, Daniel. Okay, I figured it out: I had a “/” in the name of the 11x17 layout. Once I removed it, it exported just fine. Thanks for your patience!

Glad you got it sorted out, James. I will add a task to our backlog to ensure we sanitise layout names to remove characters that can’t be used in filenames when using them to produce a filename for PDFs, to avoid this problem in future.