Export pdf vs graphic pdf

Really? Here’s a PDF I’ve just made from Dorico’s Graphics > Export. Opened in Preview, and I can select bits of the bits. Not an image.

Are you on Windows? Perhaps that’s the difference, though I thought the Graphics Export was Qt so should be cross-platform.

There’s no “Print to PDF” in the Printer section on macOS. (Though there are OS-wide ways to save a PDF.)

Every PDF I’ve made in Dorico has come from export, and every one has fonts and vectors.

Definitely don’t want to do the circles thing. :frowning: Yah, mine does say “Microsoft Print to PDF” On Windows at least, they do some things similar but they are not quite the same. If you want, do a search for “LOTTI” or whatever in your graphics version.

And here is an example of some of what is in the “Microsoft Print as PDF” version that is not in the graphics version:

<< /Type /FontDescriptor
/FontName /QDBAAA+Academico
/Flags 4
/FontBBox [-195 -332 1110 1188 ]
/ItalicAngle 0
/Ascent 980
/Descent -250
/CapHeight 722
/StemV 50
/FontFile2 30 0 R
/CIDSet 33 0 R

<< /Type /Font
/Subtype /CIDFontType2
/BaseFont /Bravura
/CIDSystemInfo << /Registry (Adobe) /Ordering (Identity) /Supplement 0 >>
/FontDescriptor 35 0 R
/CIDToGIDMap /Identity
/W [0 [297 283 84 671 684 470 ]
]

Here you go. Print mode: Graphics tab > Export button at the bottom.

Lotti Irene augusta.pdf (51.6 KB)

Interesting… I see why the confusion as that also is searchable for me. Here are mine (The “test” file is the unsearchable graphics version.)

01 - Full score - Untitled Project 1.pdf (34.3 KB)
test.pdf (36.6 KB)

I suspect you’re muddling up your exports, for the simple reason that “01 - Full score - Untitled Project 1” is the default recipe for a PDF Graphics Export and “test” is the kind of thing that someone types when they’re in a hurry.

I absolutely expect all PDFs from the Graphics section of Dorico to be searchable - and I know that they are, given I’ve removed individual glyphs from well over 1000 of them in the past.
I don’t expect PDFs from third-party PDF “printers” to be searchable, but I was just pleasantly surprised by the macOS dialog’s Save as PDF function (though it still adds margins by default).

Yeah: the Export button doesn’t give you a file dialog to set a name like “test”: it just saves with the filename according to the application prefs.

No actually, I just renamed the file manually so that it wouldn’t overwrite when I re-ran the export. They had the same names. The “test” one isn’t searchable for me.

Please explain this, then:

Not 100% what you are asking? Yes the File is named “Stargirl S1 Clip”, but the flow isn’t. I haven’t really started on it or modified any of its information - it was just handy. The default PDF export name is as you see it, except that I renamed one to test.

I’m talking about the Advanced stuff at the bottom of each of those dialogs.

I made no changes to the score - it is what was created.

The PDF Producer for “test” is Microsoft Print to PDF.

The PDF Producer for “Untitled” is Dorico Qt.

You’ve stated that the Microsoft Print to PDF file is searchable, and that the Dorico-created file isn’t searchable.

You appear to have these the wrong way round. The metadata backs that up.

Yes, they were both run from Dorico, one using the “Printer” option and “Microsof Print to PDF” in the drop down. The other also run from Dorico using the “Graphics” option and “PDF” in the dropdown.

Test is the one not searchable for me, just to confirm. It also does not have the font information.

Please read this:

Are we agreed that in the first paragraph, you’ve got the two options the wrong way round? Alternatively, that each instance of “first” in your second and third paragraphs should be “second” and each instance of “second” in your second and third paragraphs should be “first”?

And Test is the one produced by Microsoft Print to PDF, as the metadata confirms. If you look at my PDF, it shows Dorico / Qt in the metadata, same as your searchable Untitled.

We are NOT agreed sadly - I am prone to that kind of mistake sometimes so I’ve checked and triple checked, but both paragraphs are as on my machine - as accurately as I can say. The Browser I’m using to open them is “Edge”. 01 is searchable, Test is not.

We are agreed that 01 is searchable and Test is not.
Please look again at the metadata - either my screenshots or your own files, in whatever browser/PDF editor you like.

Ben’s already said it, and I don’t see how he could possibly be wrong:

I re-ran both tests clean with different file names. You are right and I am wrong about which was the Microsoft version. I though you were saying you were able to search both of them. It is the Microsoft version that is not searchable. Different files sizes and content.

2 Likes