Export to FLAC question

So I’ve had the 6.5 upgrade for a few days, and just a few hours actually checking it out… I exported a little thing to FLAC to compare to hq MP3, (happy with the results), however, I cannot find documentation on the slider… which way is better/more compressed? Didn’t see it mentioned around here either… anyone steer me on this? Thx :sunglasses:

I think FLAC, as implemented in Cubase is meant to cut down on project size rather than to simply serve as an alternative export format to wav or mp3

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=19826&p=125298&hilit=flac#p125298

Thanks, didn’t find that one when I searched. So the higher the number the higher the compression when exporting?

You’re welcome, I had that sort of referenced for the future so I knew where to look for it. But sorry, I haven’t moved beyond that, so someone else will need to answer the nuts/bolts questions.

Thanks -

so when a FLAC file is em… unFLACed the result is identical to the original regardless of the amount of encoding!

Why then have difering FLAC encoding at all?

The only reason I can think of is if FLACing on the fly a lesser encode would use less FLACing power!

Its a flacking dilemma… :open_mouth: :laughing: