Export to PDF in a custom format

Interesting to hear these pieces again. They sound terrible though on the ridiculously inexpressive instrument that is the organ. Why bother?

Hi @Juerg_Loeffler that is interesting. I know this as Klavierformat, the size 235 x 310mm. As I am sure you know this is the size of most piano books from 19C until now. It’s only found in Germany and the only way I can get it in Australia is with a custom trim from a big print shop. There’s something just right about this size.

But I am curious - why do you refer to this as Bach format? Is that a common name for this size in Germany? As far as I can see it has nothing whatsoever to do with Bach manuscript sizes or his printed works.

According to the German Wikipedia article on sheet music formats, the Bachformat is a trifle larger than Klavierformat.

Where the name Bachformat is derived from, I don’t know either. However, I think that the name Bachformat is more common in German-speaking countries than Klavierformat. And depending on the publisher, there are apparently also variations in the format. The publisher for whom I set the Schumann score requires Bachformat 230 x 305 which, according to the Wikipedia list, is actually closer to the Klavierformat than to the Bachformat. But he calls it Bachformat.

1 Like

Thanks for the morning laugh. This is my postlude this weekend. “Inexpressive” indeed.

You know… all those pedal pianos we have lying around.

As you say, they are all over the place :wink: . I took this photo in the Robert-Schumann-Haus in Zwickau.

1 Like

How does the pedalboard connect to the strings?
Or is a separate set of strings set perpendicular in the pedalboard itself?

1 Like

Organs are fun to play but by God they’re crude.

Does anyone listen to the postlude or are they chatting on their way out? Actually, you do have my sympathy here.

I’d suggest that any of the piano arrangements (solo, four hands, two pianos) would be preferable to that nasty organ stuff.

Here’s a video with a pedal piano:
Schumann: Studies for the Pedal Piano, op. 56

Anyway, enough mischief for one day.

Don’t misunderstand me: I WISH pedal pianos had never gone away. But at least in the US, they are practically non-existent. I have never seen one in the flesh. Pedal harpsichords are quite rare too, but there are a few floating around.

So around these parts, your options are: 1—play some of these things on organ, which can be quite lovely, or 2—the repertoire simply dies, never to be heard again.

I’ll take option 2 any day.

Yes, The bass strings are located under the pedals.

Alfred Dolge writes in his book Pianos and their makers, Covina (California) 1911, p. 191:
“In 1843 Louis Schöne constructed pedal pianos for Robert Schumann and Felix Mendelssohn in Leipzig. Schöne constructed, for Mendelssohn, a pedal mechanism to be used with a grand piano, but Robert Schumann preferred his pedal action connected with the regular upright pedal piano. The keyboard for pedaling was placed under the keyboard for manual playing, had 29 notes and was connected with an action placed at the back of the piano where a special soundboard, covered with 29 strings, was built into the case.“

The pedal piano in the photo is not from Schumann’s possession. The pedal keyboard and the grand piano by Wilhelm Wieck were donated to the museum in the 1970s.

1 Like

There are plenty of piano performances on YouTube. Nearly 4.8 million plays for Piotr Anderszewski’s arrangement of Op.56 No. 1 on Spotify (was it used in a film or something?).

Do you really think there’s anything lovely about the Op. 56 No. 5 video you linked to? It’s so horrible that I actually laughed when I first heard it. Only an organist could like something this bad.

For me that’s ok.
What I don’t like is, if the congregation stays seated during the postludium and applaud the organist - as if it was a concert…

1 Like