Export video of score

Hi,

I’m curently using Sibelius 8 and I’m often using the “export video (of score)” to make rehearsal movies for my choir members. I adjust the level of, for example, soprano 1 and export a video directly from Sibelius with a cursor following the score and the sound as i set it up in the mixer.
Then I upload it to a YouTube-chanel and they can prepare themselves at home.

Is this feature available in Dorico today? Or if not, do you know if it’s on it’s way?

David

Welcome to the forum, David. There must be something in the air: this is the third thread in just a few days about this topic. Please see this earlier thread.

Thank you,

As I understand is the feature not in the software today. It really is the only thing (I think) holding me from getting Dorico. I think there are a ton of features I would really like but there is also the task of learning a new software.

Do you think that the export feature will be included in Dorico in the future?

If that’s the only thing keeping you from using Dorico, why not use one of the free, easy solutions offered in the other thread?

In the meantime, I suggest watching the “how to” playlist on the YouTube channel. Plenty of ways to learn!

Kids these days and their native video exporting. In my day if we wanted to record something on screen we downloaded an unregistered copy of Hypercam and then did nothing with the footage because YouTube wasn’t a thing yet.

I kid, I kid.

But really, Dan’s advice is good. The YouTube channel is excellent for learning the program. But Dan is also being modest. He’s got a great beginner’s guide that is also worth checking out. Just follow the link in his signature and find the “user resources” link.

I have to agree with Master_David. He described Sibelius as offering a simple integrated solution to make scrolling video scores for publishing in Youtube without messing around with other sofwares and I want this very feature in Dorico for next Christmas!

Hi Daniel,
I also need the feature which I can export Dorico file as mov file. Thanks.
Stan

At the moment we have no plans to add this feature, but this aforelinked thread should provide some help.

I imagine that Sibelius/Avid is the evil that knows no name, as far as the Dorico programmers are concerned, but as someone who has used Sibelius for many years, I had hoped that Dorico would be everything that Sibelius is and so much more and be better at it. Not being able to export a video of the score seems rather short-sighted, as I and, clearly, many other musicians use this feature a lot. I have Davinci Resolve and I can export the audio and the pages and sync it all together that way, but it’s much more fiddly and time consuming. I don’t understand why this would not be standard.

Just as a reminder: The video exporting came in with Sibelius 7.5 in 2014, 16 years after the first Mac/Windows release.

1 Like

I think we added it in Sibelius 7.0, actually, though at more than a decade’s remove my memory is hazy. It would definitely be a beneficial feature to add to Dorico in due course, but I can’t say for sure when this might be possible.

1 Like

The larger point being that Dorico has been written from the ground up, and does not have any automatic way to include features that Sibelius has, just because the same programming team worked on it.

2 Likes

Understood. However, it seems to me that Dorico should want to be much better than Sibelius, if for no other reason than to win customers over from Sibelius. The options to be able to export video or graphics, for that matter, should be included. Dorico being less flexible than Sibelius will not endear you to potential customers. We are all comparing the two programs and unless Dorico can do everything that Sibelius can and more, one will be asking why one should change. Dorico is great, but it’s not yet great enough.

Honestly, for me, it already is. Cues, condensing, precision with the caret, reliability, beautiful outputs are some real assets. But I understand that YMMV.

2 Likes

There’s no question that Dorico is better than Sibelius. There are so many things I love about it. All I’m saying is that when Dorico omits some of the functionality of Sibelius without a suitable alternative, this is where it needs to step up.

1 Like