Exporting graphics

My apologies if this has been covered somewhere.

I’m interested in whether Dorico can export selected passages from a score, to be pasted into a Word document.

In an academic context (which is where I’m coming from) this is pretty important - for example, in analysing scores as part of a dissertation; I need to be able to quote.

Again - sorry if it’s been dealt with somewhere and I’ve missed it.

This would seem to say there will be graphics export:

Import and export in MusicXML, MIDI and graphics formats

Thanks Bob

Dorico won’t have copy and paste graphics export in the first version, I’m afraid. Graphics export will be limited to one or more whole pages of one or more layouts, which you can export either singly or in batches using the Print mode interface. This does mean that if you need only a small passage of music from within a page you’ll need to either export the page and then trim it in an external graphics application before you import it wherever it’s to be used, or you could use Dorico’s page layout tools to create a layout that uses a suitably small page size and shows only the bars you want to export, effectively cropping the music in Dorico before you export it.

I certainly agree that being able to copy and paste chunks of music from the score into other applications is a useful feature and it’s something that I’m sure we will add in a future version.

Daniel, I really appreciate your answer - on a Sunday, too!

It’s a disappointment about the lack of precise copy-and-paste graphics export, but I accept we won’t have everything we want in the first release. It’s not a deal-breaker, since 95% of what I’m doing at the moment is just composing.

I guess the first workaround you suggest, of using a graphics application to trim a whole page down to the required area, will be the way to go for me.

Hopefully, before the date of my final portfolio submission for my degree in a few years’ time, this missing feature, along with the many others that potential customers would like to see, will make it into the program.

A follow-up question related to this: will Dorico have the option to set “short” music examples at their natural length, rather than stretched to fit a pre-defined staff length?

If you are designing a document with many short music examples, you can make an arguments either way about whether the lengths of the examples should be consistent or not, but the document designer’s choice should not be constrained by “what the software can’t do”.

Yes, you can specify whether or not the final system of an individual flow (which would be a natural way of separating each of your short examples) should be justified or not, i.e. should be stretched out to reach the right-hand margin of the frame. So if you have a short example that is less than one system in length, you can choose to have it unjustified, which will use only its pure rhythmic space.

What I would actually find almost more useful: exporting as graphics what PaulWalmsley inofficially called “Music Frames” in another thread. This would make some workflows with small examples to be used in other applications much smoother, I predict, since you could specify the frame size for the exported graphic from the get-go (by setting the music frame). This then would mean that the height-width-ratio does not change when you have the need to export an example again, and this in turn would work great in tandem with an DTP application’s feature to update placed content directly from a source file (especially if there was an option to overwrite any previous snapshot of a music frame by default).

Well, of course, Alex, you can more or less do that right away anyway. Create a new layout with a custom page size and zero margins with a music frame the size of the page, and assign in the flow that you want to see on that page, then you can use the existing Print mode interface to export that layout as PDF or PNG or whatever.

This sounds really flexible. Hurrah.

I know that this thread was last used over a year and a half ago but have just come to the point where I’m looking to export selected bars and passages for an article. I have my flows looking exactly how I want them inside their independent music frames and it would be very simple if I just had to export the individual music frame to a graphic and then simply paste it into my article. I realise there is the work around to get this but I have many different inserts of varying sizes that are required and the export music frame option would seem to cut down on much time and workflow disturbance.

Are there any updates on the possibility of this function or new developments in this area since this thread was last visited?

Thanks and I’m loving Dorico and really looking forward to the upcoming drumset/percussion capabilities also.

I’m afraid there have been no new developments in this area recently. I agree it would be very neat to be able to export just the contents of a frame to a graphic, and I hope we’ll be able to implement this in future, but it’s not possible in the current version, nor indeed in the update arriving in the next few weeks.

Are you on a Mac? Why not just shift-command-4 and draw a box around the desired graphic to screen capture it/add to your desktop?
Best!
D.D. Jackson

… because this way you will only get screen resolution graphics, which will not be sufficient for good printing results.

… don’t know how far on the developer team is on this issue at this moment.

I would like to be able to export to .png graphic format with 1200 dpi resolution (it is limitedt to 600 dpi at the moment).

Is there a workaround (like changing layout to double Paper format and setting the rastral size to a larger value before exporting)?

Secondly I would like for graphics an option to export just the graphic content without margins - or may be by selecting something with a Selection Frame - to get exported.

My workaround at the moment is cropping the graphic in an external application.

Sure, double the size if you want lots of detail. If you don’t mind me saying so, 1200 DPI is overkill.

You could also zoom in and then do a screen grab.

1200dpi is the print/publishing standard resolution for mono images (i.e. black only). This ensures that you don’t see any jagged edges on curves and diagonal lines on paper. (Of course, if you use vector graphics, then the final bitmap raster will be made on the print device at its native resolution.)

Depending on your screen’s characteristics, you’d have to zoom in between 600 % and 1600 % to get high enough dpi on a screengrab. :open_mouth: That will limit the area you can grab.

Dan, Ben is right, one can’t use screenshots if one needs serious graphical results.
Just as a test, save some bit of a Dorico score as Graphic .png with 600 dpi resolution.
If you open this on your screen and have a closer look, you will find no smooth line at all.
Compare this with a screenshot of the same area on your Dorico score. The result will be worse even…

Ok, I ran the test :slight_smile:

a) paper size DINA5, Rastral Size 3 (7mm staff), export as .png 600 dpi
result: graphic is 3300 pixels wide
b) paper size DINA3(!), Rastral Size Custom (14mm staff), export as .png 600 dpi
result: graphic is 6600 pixels wide
c) a screenshot of this
result: graphic is 1100 pixels wide

a) and b) it looks to me as if resolution is directly dependent on the set Rastral Size