Exporting MIDI from Dorico+Noteperformer to Logic Pro

I’ve been using Noteperformer for playback on Dorico. I would like to export the project as MIDI into Logic Pro. I notice that the dynamics information is captured as a combination of velocity and expression midi data. How can I export articulation information (non vibrato/staccato etc) as part of MIDI ? I didnt explicitly add these in Dorico as they are just part of notation and get handled by Noteperformer correctly

MIDI doesn’t understand “Staccato”, “Vibrato”, etc. Dorico should export the Keyswitches and CCs used in the current Playback Template in a MIDI file – but you can’t easily use Noteperformer in Logic.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I understand the Virtual Instrument used in Logic Pro needs Keyswitch data inorder to switch between playback articulation like Legato,Staccato etc. And the exact keyswitch used might be specific to the library used. My question is how do I make Dorico export MIDI with the keyswitch data, and how can I specify the mapping? For eg: Legato → C-1, Staccato → D-1 etc.

Dorico exports the MIDI data used in the active Playback Template, using the Expression Map assigned to the instrument.

What’s the VST in Logic? I’d suggest creating the same setup in Dorico.

1 Like

Dorico Playback template used is NotePerformer
Logic Pro instrument I am trying currently is Cinesamples Musio, but I wish to try out few others too and/or mix match with more libraries.
Is the only solution then to load a different expression map in Dorico and export a set of Midi files suitable for each Sample Library vendor that will be used in Logic Pro then?

That would be the correct approach.

Dorico uses the expression map to translate the notations (dynamics and playing techniques) written in the score to keyswitch/cc data that is specific to the needs of each target VST.

(NotePerformer has very specific needs, not shared by other VSTs. Which is why tweaking the NP expression map is discouraged unless you really know what you are doing!)

Yes, however, keep in mind that most sample libraries (even some very expensive ones) are very poorly balanced and/or inconsistent. Even after you make the expression maps in Dorico, the balance will likely be so wrong that everything will sound horrible with any of those libraries. With a reasonable size orchestral piece, expect to put in 8-12 hours of work making adjustments to the MIDI just to get things sounding reasonably close to how they did with NotePerformer out of the box.

Most vendors don’t care about balance and consistency because they decide that the user is working in a DAW playing in all the lines themselves on a MIDI keyboard and that they can hear that the patches are inconsistent and adjust as they are playing it in, but this is a slog if you have already written the score and have to fix everything, especially if you’re not even sure that you want to buy that library.

I use libraries outside of NotePerformer, but I try to limit my library use to those libraries that are consistent and balanced enough to work well for this.

hm if you can import music xml, then you could build an environment that is interpreting the articulations and doing key switches for them in your Virtual Instruments. The Issue is, that logic dont send commands for all symbols that is used… it’s pretty inconsistent in that regard, at least it was. I have written environment a long time ago where I could make logic send key switches when I inserted articulations in the note editor there. but like I said not every articulation worked couse of the inconsistency. (main reason I switched to cubase when they added vst expressions)

Yes. Because each library uses CCs and KSes in different ways.

There are “Expression Maps” in Logic; but I don’t know how you use them on a whole track.

Yes, but they’re called articulation sets in Logic in case the OP wants to research them online.

1 Like