Exporting to wav

I recorded an old album into Cubase 7.05 (64bit), topped and tailed and exported the tracks to wav. Using Nero 12 (latest version) I’ve burnt them to disc multiple times now. I get either coasters or CDs that are only good for the first 4 tracks (out of 9) the rest are unreadable. Is Cubase chucking out corrupt files or what? They seem to play back fine on the PC. In this case I’ve used no plug ins, so what is causing the issue. I am using WIndows 8 Pro 64bit with 8gb ram. ASUS P5B motherboard, Intel Quadcore processor Q6600. Delta 66 and 44 sound cards. etc.

No - if it would, Nero certainly would not be able to create Red book standard CDs from the files…

I’d say Cubase is the least likely culprit here…why not download a freeware burning software to try.
If it gives the same result then I would suspect hardware or media.

And you probably realise this, but if you want to bypass any requirement for the burning software to transcode the files make sure they are exported to 16bit 44.1KHz.

I’ve noticed that over a few years my burners become unreliable, with more burn errors and more rejected disks. Also I wonder whether old media starts to degrade too. Perhaps this is the problem?

You could try burning the CDs with the Windows built-in CD burner too, just to check if it’s Nero. Or even burn a bunch of other tracks just to rule out corruption in the tracks that you’re really trying to burn?

Mike.

I’ve had this problem many times in the past, and in every instance it was the hardware. Often when this behaviour begins to show it can be allieviated by using a good CD/DVD cleaning product. I’m refering here to a cleaning Disc for the hardware, not to cleaning the discs themselves! Actually the burner should be cleaned regularly depending on environment, before it starts getting nasty.

Another trick is to use slower burning speeds than recommended - this was very important with older hardware which didn’t vary the laser power for higher speeds, which resulted in coasters or very short lived CDs. Plus, over time the speed sync calibration of cheap commercial devices will begin to deteriorate or “go off”.

This higher power is very likely also what shortens the life of the burner generally - typical of our modern “can’t wait, faster, faster” mindset - you want high speed burning, then you need to run the laser at a higher power which reduces it’s life so you need to replace your burner more often - great marketing ploy for the manufacturers. Stand alone “professional” burners usually have a higher quality laser diode and lens etc. and therefore last considerably longer - but are usually quite expensive - stands to reason.