Expression map BBCSO Core strings not changing back from pizz to arco

Hi, I’m using the BBCSO Core expression map, thanks for providing it! It seems that “arco” is not recognized by the map. It continues to play back pizzicato. Same problem for all strings. Any advice? Also I am wondering if it is possible to change the articulation for certain notes in the playback like in Cubase? This could improve the mockup a lot.

Best,
Gabi

PS. Happy New Year :slight_smile:

the actual playback technique for arco is “bowed” as you can easily see if you hover the mouse over the “arco” from the Playing Techniques panel in Write mode. What should be required in theory is that the Expression map must include a “bowed” entry which will be triggered if you actually write “arco” in the score AND both arco and pizz are in the mutual exclusion section in the EM because otherwise Dorico, not being an actual musician, doesn’t know it has to stop playing pizz when you tell it to play arco.

In practice with the BBC Core template is that it seems to work anyway without these measures for me. If it isn’t for you and you are using the actual playback template and not just the Expression Maps on their own, either do as suggested or simply write a “nat” which will automatically reset you back to arco. (you could hide that in the score if required)

The other question about Cubase I don’t understand unfortunately. Could you maybe given an example?

Thanks, the “nat” does the trick, although it’s still strange that it doesn’t work for me. I might download and load the template again.

In Cubase you can use the pencil tool to draw articulations while using expression maps, so one can adjust them as needed

. It seems that in Dorico you can’t use any edit tool for the articulations. I’ve attached a screenshot from Cubase.

Ah, I see what you mean. In many libraries, including the BBC, keyswitches are the main way of programming and there is no automation lane for articulations like in Cubase but of course you can programme any CC lane in Dorico with the draw tool if that’s relevant to the library in question. Frankly, I prefer Dorico’s method with the Expression Maps but of course it can be frustrating if it doesn’t do what you expect!