expression map different midi channels help

I am a newbie to cubase 8.5 and am wanting to use expression maps to change midi channels to have 3 midi Chanel articulations on the same track . for a basic example 1 Kontact with 3 articulations on midi 1 to 3.

I have set up 3 key switches c0 to d0 in the remote and the output mapping to Note on C0 etc data2 120 and changed the channel for each key switch 1-3
I have got it all working so that when I click on the key switch the relevant midi Chanel is activated and I can play the different midi instruments . The problem is when I record and play back, the midi Channel info is not recorded so everything plays back on midi 1 . I have the Kontakt instrument set to any midi Channel . I have also tried changing the midi channel of the notes in the event list manually after recording to different midi channels but it still only plays back on midi channel 1 unless I remove the expression map .

What am I doing wrong ?

Hi,

Make sure, the MIDI Channel of the track is set to Any in Cubase. Once you set the MIDI Channel to any specific one, the MIDI data are sent on this specific MIDI Channel.

I have set it to any but it doesnt make any difference

Even if you set the MIDI Channel of the MIDI Note by hard?

yes , if I change a midi note in the event list to channel 2 it still plays only midi channel 1 unless I disable expression maps and then it plays the other midi chanels . There must be a global setting somewhere ?

I see, so the Expression Maps is the master, isn’t it? We discussed it in other thread. But in this case, you should be able to change the MIDI Channel via the Expression Maps.

yes I can change the midi channel through the expression map , when I hit the keyswitch the channel changes but cubase doesnt record the channel change

How should Cubase “record” it? The MIDI Channel changes on the output side only.

Ok I see , I thought expression maps would transform the incoming midi 1 to 2 and 3 etc . So with expression maps activated the keyswitch outputs to different midi chanels even though in the event list the note is on mdi 1 ?
What happens to me is that the keyswitch articulations and expression maps changes the midi channel live but when I play back the recorded notes the articulations change but not the midi channel.

Yes, this is wanted behavior.

I dont get it , then how are you supposed to change midi channels . The only way I can do it is to change the midi note manually after recording and disable expression maps , if that is wanted behaviour , Ill have to go back to logic .

Why do you want to change the MIDI Channel?

MIDI channel is not a global information. MIDI Channel is unique for every single MIDI Message. We just group to the same track all MIDI data, sharing the same MIDI Channels, because we expect, these data belong each other.

Could you explain your scenario, please?

I want to use expression maps and have 3 intruments play in one kontakt instance on 3 seperate midi channels.A pretty basic thing that I have seen people do on cubase expression map videos.like this - YouTube ( 8 mins into video )
I have done the same set up 3 key switches c0 to d0 in the remote and the output mapping to Note on C0 etc data2 120 and changed the channel for each key switch 1-3
I have got it all working so that when I click on the key switch the relevant midi Chanel is activated and I can play the different midi instruments . The problem is when I record and play back, the midi Channel info is not recorded so everything plays back on midi 1 . I have the Kontakt instrument set to any midi Channel . I have also tried changing the midi channel of the notes in the event list manually after recording to different midi channels but it still only plays back on midi channel 1 unless I remove the expression map .

But the MIDI Channel Info shouldn’t be recorded, as I said. The source is still on MIDI Channel 1. But the Expression Map transforms it in real time to the wanted MIDI Channel. So if you want to hear MIDI Channel 2, you have to send the MIDI Message, which triggers this switch, which is c#0 in your case. Do you send this message, while recording?

yes this happens" Expression Map transforms it in real time to the wanted MIDI Channel "

Yes I send this message when recording(c#0) and can hear midi channel 2 , so it works

but only when I am playing live or recording , when I play the region back it only plays midi 1

even though I have the track set to any midi . Driving me mad as it doesnt make sense

OK, can you try to record just the key-switching notes, please?

Play it back. Can you see the keys are switched in the Express Map tab?

Can you share the project, please?

Ok thanks will do but will be tomorrow as its Sunday night here and studio is closed for business.

Solved , I realised I was trying to do something that is impossible in cubase but is in logic with artzid .I managed to get the 3 midi channels working and playing back on a basic setup as described in the video link above.
What I was trying to do was a bit more complicated. Have an instrument ( Flute 1 ) on Chanel 1 with 6 articulations in Kontakt and then 2 more instruments with the same key switched articulations on midi 2 and 3 also with 6 articulations. i.e. 1st instrument a flute with 6 arts then midi 2 a clarinet with the same arts , midi 3 an oboe

SO in expression maps I tried having c-2 to f-2 on midi1 and then c-1 to f-1 on midi2 etc but as the articulation names are the same cubase would not change the midi Chanel . I don’t know if you get what I mean but the work around is just to have all the articulations on one midi Chanel and just use a new midi track .