Expression Map - Helpful Additions

As well that it allows one to customize articulations to ones preffered way of working. I like the find and apply command in S1 that one could trigger via a shortcut.

It seems to work more reliable and without any funky artifacts when playing and switching (happens all the time in Cubase/Nuendo)

1 Like

or just a global line where the current used artivculations are statedā€¦

1 Like

You can have the articulations written as text on the actual notes

3 Likes

61 votes so farā€¦ wonder at what point these actually matter/make a difference.?

1 Like

Wow! Iā€™m just demoing and thought I didnā€™t know what I was doing. EMs are implemented terribly! My switch from Studio One is becoming less certain each day.

1 Like

Itā€™s been over a decade now and Cubase has not updated. STEINBERG!!!

2 Likes

+1 ! Please, negative delay per articulationā€¦ PLEASEā€¦!

3 Likes

Please include delay compensation for each articulation in the update of expression maps!!!

6 Likes

Perhaps some of you can give me an answer to thisā€¦
Is it in Cubase/Nuendo possible to change articulations via a controller after they are recorded?
As for now I have only seen the possibility to record and change it afterwards by hand in the key editor.

1 Like

there are workarounds to make it work using something like Keyboard Maestro

2 Likes

We need delay compensation for each articulation.
I think this is way more valuable than new fancy looking eq or compressor.
Because we have other option for eq or compressor.
But we donā€™t have any option for a new desighned expression map.
If steinberg donā€™t offer it. we have to live in a dark ages.

Soā€¦ Please???

5 Likes

I have been thinking, because articulations are becoming more and more numerous per instrument, and can number over 20, it would be good to be able to switch off selected individual articulations so that they are not seen in the key editor, reducing eye clutter.

5 Likes

It would be really cool if Cubase/Nuendo knew the most popular articulations by name in a expression map and put them in ā€œcommonā€ category so you had stacc, Detache, sus, trem, pizz, etc and then the rest that it wasnā€™t coded to consider common was put under ā€œspecialā€ or ā€œless commonā€ so you had a starting point to see the most cmmon uses and then could find all the others in the different listing. Then there could maybe be a show all listing so you just saw it all if you want.

Anything that would help with needing to customize every expression map by hand. There are literally hundreds or thousands of potential expression maps (look at babylon waves) so to prevent needed to go in and adjust/resave an expression map is ideal.

1 Like

I feel you. Steinberg created Expression Maps but have really let the competition not only have them as well but improve them more while Steinberg went to sleep on this one. They have indicated at least that improving EM are on the list but it hasnā€™t been improved for a long long time now so Iā€™m going to be really dissapointed if it doesnā€™t happen in the next paid Cubase/Nuendo upgrade.

1 Like

That is exactly what MIDI2 could do, but where the hell has that gone???

1 Like

MIDI2 is going to take years to implement

2 Likes

Add to this the ability to see articulations in the Logical Editor. It would be a game changer for quickly adjusting timing offsets for articulations in various sample libraries. A preset for each instrument!

3 Likes

Yes, letā€™s make this happen!

1 Like

Well, itā€™s been almost 5 years since this request has been createdā€¦ Who do you have to bribe to get this implemented? Maybe I could become an intern and do it myself.
Sorry, it just makes me sad - sometimes angry, that every new version of Cubase (for which we all pay) comes with so many features film composers simply donā€™t care about.
After 14 years of writing music for a living with Cubaseā€¦what could be more important than improve Cubase to make composing music easier? And I donā€™t mean a 10 track rock-pop-project. I am talking about orchestral templates with hundreds of tracks, dozens of different virtual instruments and articulations, many with different sample offsets.
It would make a HUGE different to have that negative delay/sample offset per articulation. And yes, it would be nice to get an updated GUI of the expression map editor as well, becauseā€¦come on, itā€™s just painful (no duplicate button? No bulk loading of multiple maps? ).
If Cubase would be an open source project, then those features would have been available for years. So please, someone has to take action.

6 Likes

Ditto!

1 Like