Expression map in different octaves

Hello, I’m using Cubase pro 10.5 trying to make an expression map for an instrument that has its key switches in two different areas of the keyboard, one from C0 to D#1 and the other goes from D#5 to G6.
After I mapped the key switches in the expression map window when I hit set remote keys it rearranges the remote keys consecutively, so the higher octaves won’t work.
Then I found on the manual that in the output mapping box, the transpose option can be used to to set articulations in different octaves, I understand that this should the number of semitones between the two key switch areas, however when I hit the set remote keys button it rearranges the remote keys again.
So I guess I’m missing something here, how can I achieve this?

Thanks beforehand.

Hi,

Could you attach a screenshot before and after, please? Sorry, I’m not sure I do understand your issue to 100%.

Hey Martin thanks for replying.

What i’m trying to do is to have the articulations in two different areas of the keyboard, on the attached image on the left i have two groups mapped, the group 1 are on the lower keys from C0 to D#1 and the group 2 are on the higher keys from D#5 to G6 that is how it should be, however when i try to load the expression map to the instrument track, the group 2 keys are reassigned as is shown on the right expression map window. it seems like i’m missing something, i tried to use the transport option but the result is the same.

Hi,

I’m not sure I understand either. Looking at the left half of the image, everything seems as you want it, right? If you then save the map (with the capital T), and apply the the map with with the capital T to an instrument, it should work as you desire.

Perhaps the issue is related to hitting “Set Remote Keys”? In the left half of the image, you have already set the remote keys to the lower and upper ranges of the keyswitches (manually I assume). If you then press Set Remote Keys, it would re-set them all sequentially starting with the specified root note, which is C0 in your case (as in the right half of the image). So perhaps it’s just a matter of setting the map up like in the left half of the image, and then saving, without hitting Set Remote Keys prior to the save?

Hope this helps!
Pete

You just don’t need to hit Set Remote Keys because you have already set yours manually.
(Edit: as rightly mentioned by PeteL)

Wow! I can’t believe how silly my mistake was, yes that was it.
I found this procedure on YouTube. The guy on the video had just a few articulations so it worked for him.
I assumed that the set remote keys button was to load the mapping.

Thank you very much guys

Cheers

Glad it works for you now! And, in case you didn’t know, you don’t actually have to enter any remote keys … unless, of course you’re using a remote device to invoke the keyswitches. The mapping is actually defined in the top right pane of the expression map editor.

That said, even though I don’t use a remote, I still set the remote keys just for quick reference when looking at an expression map. That way you don’t have to click each articulation to see where it’s mapped in the top right side. To make generating a new map easy and quicker, I spent a few minutes making a “blank” expression map template for starting new expression maps, with the remote keys, dummy articulations, and the corresponding keyswitch assignments (top right) already set for the whole MIDI range of keys. Then it’s just a matter of entering articulation names for a new map, and then deleting the unused ones from the center pane of the editor.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I will try that next time, because I found the process rather tedious and confusing.

Have a good day.