Expression map question

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up an expression map that allows the use of different “slots” for different playing techniques? I’m using LA Scoring Strings in Kontakt, which has a separate “instrument” for legato and pizzicato techniques (for example). I’d love to set up an expression map so that entering “pizz” as a technique in Dorico directs it to play from a different channel within Kontakt. For example, I’d have channel 1 set to Violin 1 legato, channel 2 set to Violin 1 pizzicato, and the expression map would route each note to the correct channel based on the playing technique.

Is this possible, or are the only options key switches and program changes?

Cheers!

Not (yet) possible. Possible option is using Kontakt banks and program changes, but that usually means dynamics (cc1 e.g.) isn’t updated/resent when switching cells…

Thanks - handy to know where things are at, so I don’t go crazy trying to find an option that isn’t there (yet)!

LA Scoring Strings … For example, I’d have channel 1 set to Violin 1 legato, channel 2 set to Violin 1 pizzicato, and the expression map would route each note to the correct channel based on the playing technique.

The ARC script of LASS itself is designed for exactly that, e.g., switching between arbitrary articulations of one instrument (e.g., all articulations of all your violin 1 divisi) on a single MIDI channel using keyswitches. Have a look at the relevant videos and documentation. There are default Kontakt multis for you set up for that, but you can also very flexibly roll your own. You might want to start at the link below.

http://audiobro.com/introduction-to-a-r-c-audiobro-remote-control/

Best,
Torsten