Expression maps for m3, M3 and P4 trills/measured tremolos

I have set up a meticulous system for using Ocrhestral tools´ different trills samples. All that is missing is connecting the Ornament Playback techniques to the actual trills notated.

I can’t find them, not even the HT and WT that is being used? (I read somewhere that they should be named the same as the symbol?) Are they hidden in the code?

Or would there be a way to use measured tremolos to trigger an expression mapping?

I’m afraid that Dorico doesn’t use specific playback techniques for trills beyond a half-step or a whole-step, so you’ll need to manually add a playing technique that triggers your desired playback technique in conjunction with the trill in order to get this working.

Ok, so there is no way to make a “3rd minor trill” or a “Three Strokes Multi-note Tremolo” trigger a specific playback technique? They are not in the “Edit Playing Technique” dialog?

The “Edit Music Symbol” dialog has no way to connect for instance “Combining tremolo 3” to a playing or playback technique.

Like Trill Key (tr) and Up Bow (V) are connected to a specific playback technique (Trill and Upbow, respectively) in the “Edit Playing Technique” dialog

I think what Daniel is saying you will need to create a custom playing technique for 3rd minor trill yourself, because Dorico comes with only the HT and WT trills pre-built. This the missing step in your question it seems to me.

(You might have to do this as a combined technique: for example the existing “trill” technique plus a custom “interval xyz” technique that can be hidden in the score if required - I’m not sure as I haven’t done this).

Then, make this new playing technique trigger the required sample in the VI library via the playback technique inside the expression map.

Yes, excactly what I was trying to convey.

It is not possible to make custom Playing Techniques based on any Music Symbol or other properties in a Dorico score (at least not yet?:wink:). We are limited to the ones that are already defined as Playing techniques.

In my defence I feel the missing step was in the answer, not my question :sweat_smile:.

One could use a custom text expression to trigger a playback technique and then hide the custom text.

It is possible to make custom techniques that will be displayed as music symbols.

In the “Edit Playing Technique” menu, create the entry for your custom technique in the column on the left, and then on the right - as you fill it in with details - select Type : either Text or Glyph to set how it will be displayed in the score.

If you select Glyph and click on the pencil icon, you’ll be able to fine-tune the music symbol based on a huge number of options available.

I think it should be possible to create a custom playing technique for the required trill interval that you would enter via a popover (e.g. custom trill as below) but that would look in the score like a default trill symbol. (But I haven’t tried it before, so I can’t confirm). If you need the symbol itself, look in Bravura - Smufl - Common Ornaments

EDIT: I’m almost certain this method would not allow the editing of the trill display properties in the lower panel. So just thinking through it, the earlier suggestion (a combined technique of existing trill technique plus a custom one for the needed interval) is probably a better approach. The other question in my mind is the Orchestral Tool programming of the trill. As far as I know, it requires to sequentially trigger two notes. I don’t think this is a very common way of doing this, so it might require some thinking through in the expression map. I’d be curious to know how you set it up in the end.

1 Like