Expression Maps - Latch behavior?

I am using Expression Maps quite a bit, it is an amazing feature when working with samplers and key switching.

There is a little bit of issue that is bothering me though; it might just be that I have been doing something wrong. I can’t seem to be able to make the key-switch stick (latch). I have checked the “latch” setting but it only latches until I hit the Play/Stop transport button. Once I do this, the Expression Maps key-switch resets to the first ‘articulation’. It would be nice for it to stick, even after hitting play/stop, just like a key-switching would work.

So would anyone have any comments about this? Am I doing something wrong or is this actually the way it is supposed to work and users just got used to it?

Make à “direction” in this way everywhere you stop you gonna have the right articulation !

The top sound slot gets triggered when you hit stop, the reasoning being that you always want the instrument to go back to some default keyswitch. I would suppose if you add a placeholder entry at the top of the list the result would be what you want. (I did not actually test it – let me know if it does work)

If I setup the Expression Map using ‘Direction’ rather than ‘Articulations’ it still doesn’t stick to certain keyswitch after a play/stop command. Unless I draw an empty part and I insert a long ‘direction’ bar from start to end. Not ideal…

Also, adding a default articulation as the top slot might work if you have a pre-determined default articulation. But…if at some point I decide, for example, that I need articulation #3, then everytime I hit start/stop (for example while practicing) it defaults to artic-1 which is not what I needed at that particular moment.

It would be nice if the Expression Map articulations would simply “latch”, even after a Play/Stop command. I know it is not a top priority matter for Steinberg, but I thought I would ask on this forum anyways as there was a chance that I might have overlooked something.
I guess I’ll just have to live with it :slight_smile:

I said make the top sound slot a placeholder, meaning a sound slot with nothing in the output. You know, to hold the place without doing anything. Presumably there was already something there acting as the default if you have created a map.

When used in conjunction with directions it does precisely what you asked for.

Yes, an empty placeholder did the trick indeed. Wow. Awesome. Thank you very much! :smiley: