Expression maps - Muted + Staccato

Hi folks,

Trying to set up brass patches so that I can use muted brass alongside unmuted, and have also muted staccatos switch correctly.

Scenario:

On Midi channel 1: VSL trombone (without mutes)
On midi channel 2: VSL trombone with mutes (staccato and sustain/natural)

Currently trying to use relative channel switch to switch between channels, but is that a correct way?

I can change from unmuted trombone to muted, but the muted staccatos don’t work.

I have defined a Muted + Staccato switch in the expression map but no help.
In the endpoint setup both channels have the same Expression map.

Help appreciated!

best,

Jussi Lampela

Is this the Special Series trombones? What i did was make a user patch that combines open & muted, switched by A0/A#0. I found that easier than dealing with channel-switching.

thanks, I guess I could do that, will check it out.

But in the meantime, I might have to resort channel switching with other patches, so ideas still welcome.

Thanks,

JL

I’m not sure there is a “right way” necessarily - behind the scenes in EWQL the keyswitch patches load the same samples for playback as if you loaded them yourself on other channels. I know you said VSL,… but they have some similar problems to solve.

So… I find the key-switch version more convenient but heavy if I’m not using all of its articulations. I like the separate channels if I want lighter or to process say the mutes with EQ a little differently, by sending them out to a different channel in the Dorico mixer.

Regardless -

Do you mean that the Muted + Staccato don’t show up in the PT lane in Play? That might be an issue to solve with maybe with an exclusion, or to be sure the PT is mapped correctly to a Playback Playing Technique PPT…

Or do you mean that the PT does show up but is not playing back like you wanted?

We’ll help if we can.
Greg

If you’re using VI the attached demo is probably the most economical approch, trumpetMUTE.dorico (366.6 KB)

here is a Synchron demo using VEP with relative channel switching (had no mutes so the “mute” channel is horn) trumpetMUTE-VSL-SY.dorico (447.7 KB)

I did a VSL expression map this way.
You’ve got to have articulations laid out the same on each midi channel.
You can use relative channel switching (0 for VSL trombone and 1 for mutes).
Maybe you can attach your expression map?

Thanks, the Synchron demo worked here great, and I see You’re using Add-on switches, will try that.

I also asked this on the VSL forum, since they supplied the Expression map I was using, they also promised to look into it.

Anyway, thanks!

And thanks for other suggestions as well, I think this will sort itself out.

best,

JL

looking at the VSL thread, it looks like you are needing to use two separate instruments as the SE brass mutes are not incorporated into the same instrument as unmuted. First of all, if by “old SE”, you mean the VI version then you need to remember that the map VSL supplied is not designed to work with the VI version which would require a different mapping. If you don’t already have the extended brass version in the Synchronized format, I’d strongly advise getting it --the crossgrade won’t cost much. Additionally, the muted and not muted brass articulations are identical (as far as I can see anyway) .

If you do use the synchronized versions for both then it’s very easy --simply add a mute instrument to your brass player in Setup and then use the Galley View to switch between the instruments. There is no need to bother with any extra Expression Map entries as they are the same for the non-mutes.
Using relative channels can also do the job but, having tried out both, I’d definitely recommand the extra instrument approach.