Expression Maps

Yes, in the fullness of time we anticipate that you will be able to specify whether Dorico will play its MIDI approximations of articulations as well as or instead of sampled alternatives provided by the virtual instrument.

Thanks Daniel.

That would be great. Even for trills, the current choices are not quite right for dealing with e.g. VSL which provides “performance trills”, samples for use in performing trills. They are sampled trill transitions, not sampled trilling. One wants Dorico to “play” the trills, using these samples.

Just a quick note of thanks for the exclusion feature… I finally dipped my toe back into creating rules (I quit in frustration back with V2). In about an hour and a half, I had some working rules - all it took was some searching for posts here and a few looks at the online Help.

So, coming soon will be some rules for EWQLSO - starting with strings, since that seems to be what I need most.

I also have this problem, if someone has a solution, please tell me

Try increasing the buffer size of your device in Edit > Device Setup.

Also there are various settings in HALion Sonic SE you can set if you open its Options page. You can allow it to use more CPU cores, which may improve things.

Hello,
Actually trying Dorico, I would like to make an expression map for Cinematic Studio Strings.
I’m facing a little problem, I understand that I need to have a “Natural” Articulation, I created it and it works, but… I also have created a “Natural Harmonic 1” articulation and the problem is that Dorico plays a “normal” note instead of an harmonic one. Also, I noticed that when I remove the “Natural” Articulation from the expression maps, Dorico plays the harmonic note as it should be but in the other side it doesn’t play normal Arco notes at all until I place a slur line between notes (Legato).
Do you have an idea to get that problem solved ?
Thanks,
Meaks.

Try putting your natural and harmonic techniques into a mutual exclusion group in the expression map.

Thanks for your quick answer Daniel.
I included Natural and Natural Harmonics in the same exclusion group but It doesn’t change anything on that problem…
Any other idea ?

Meaks.

It might help if you included a couple of measures from the composition in question in Dorico format, zipped, just enough to let Daniel and others access your troublesome Expression Map.

Sorry, it worked !

I don’t know what happened but I erase some of the instruments slots that were empty and I saved my configuration, then I launched playback and Dorico played the articulations correctly… Don’t know what happened, but it worked…

Thanks,
Meaks.

Again !
I added a third voice on the viola, now I have a natural harmonic note on 1st Violins, a natural line on 2nds, and a tremolo sustained note on violas…
Now the first two plays as it should, but the violas plays… a normal sustain note… don’t understand. I included the tremolo articulation in same exclusion group as the natural and natural harmonic ones but it doesn’t change anything…
I joined some pictures to illustrate.

Thanks in advance for an idea of what I’m doing wrong !
Meaks.

Conductor.png

Hello, finally, i figured out what was the problem…
As a first try with Dorico, I opened a Movie Score Template and had a lot of instruments sharing the same Kontakt and channels… :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time and your help.
Meaks.

Just a quick “thank-you” to the Dorico Team - the expression maps are working, and I’m actually wrapping my head around the concepts!

I decided to start slow and simple, this is just the violins in EWQLSO, but now that I have the concepts down, I think it will go very quickly to do the rest.

Bravo! I think this is the first notation program whose expression map creation didn’t drive me nuts… :smiley:

Actually, I have to agree with that. +1

I agree. Thank you, Dorico Team! After the last update, I think expression maps are working quite well. Based on my experience creating several large expression maps for VSL libraries, the system in place right now is capable and reliable. I do, of course :wink: , have a list of features I’d like to see, but what we already have is pretty great.

I’ve finished an expression map for VSL Synchronized Woodwinds. The attachment contains presets for all the Synchronized Woodwinds and a single expression map that works with all of them. See the Readme file in the attachment for details. Let me know if you run into any problems.
woodwinds.zip (94 KB)

Hi mhcoffin,
I noticed that your SYzdEnglishHorn preset contains OB2 patches instead of EH patches.
Apart from that I wanna thank you for your work (and the Dorico people of course). For the first time I can use VSL in a notation program!

Yikes. I’ll get that fixed asap. Embarrassing :slightly_frowning_face:

This is a corrected version of an expression map for VSL Synchronized Woodwinds. The only change from the previous version is the English horn preset. As gerrie pointed out (thank you, gerrie), the file pretending to be an English horn preset was actually an Oboe2 preset.
woodwinds.zip (94 KB)