Expression Maps

Hi,

I use Kontakt in VE PRO. Several articulations loaded in 1 instance of Kontakt. Will Expression maps give in future the possibility to choose a channel for an articulation.
For instance in Channel 1 in Kontakt I have Legato, in Ch 2, spiccato, in Ch 3 staccato etc.

By the way, I can only choose channels but not a port of VE PRO in Dorico.

Kind regards,

Frieda

Yes, in the future you will be able to change channel in an expression map, and you will also be able to access different ports in VE Pro, but I’m afraid I can’t say when that will be.

The HALion VX Instruments that have them (I.E. Large Strings VX) use key-switches that must be ‘held down’ throughout the duration of the note(s) that use them. Dorico does this, so no problem there.

VX Instruments, like most things HALion also have parameters one can adjust in real time via CC events. These can be attached to symbols and articulation ‘techniques’ in Dorico as well. In Dorico 2, one can also enter such events into CC lanes in the Play Tab view. The most common things one would like to tweak are typically arranged across HALion’s 8 Quick Controls.

By default the Quick Control (QC) knobs can be automated via the following CC events (each knob from left to right)):

1. 74
  2. 71
  3. 73
  4. 72
  5. 75
  6. 76
  7. 77
  8. 78

There are other things one can automate as well.
Here is a more complete list as found in the Sonic SE 3 manual.
Automation and Factory MIDI Controller Assignment

They are the same for Sonic 2 and 3, SE 2 and 3, and HALion 5 and 6, and you can host the VX instruments in any of these players. I believe they may be valid for HALion 4 as well, but I’m not ‘sure’ about that.

In HALion, and also for many things in Sonic, one can assign a custom CC to almost any variable or control at any time by right clicking it, choosing ‘learn’ and moving a control (make sure the stave is active). If you don’t have a MIDI controller/keyboard handy for ‘learning things’, in the full blown HALion 6, there are number of methods to go deep into a program and assign custom CC automation for pretty much any and every parameter in HALion.

Most of the time anything you’d want to automate is going to be on a QC knob, but if not, give ‘learning’ a try. If you do end up with a highly customized instrument with lots of ‘learns’, be sure to save a copy of your modified program in HALion so it’ll be there for ‘future projects’.

When building an expressionmap for an instrument, you can include a key-switch, as well as any CC parameters you like for each ‘technique’. Have a look at Dorico’s expression map editor to get your feet wet. There are a number of threads here on how to begin building them. You can probably find videos and such about it as well.

Specific questions for a specific instrument in HALion? Start a new thread, and I’ll be happy to try to help out. Such a thread can get rather long and involved, so it really should stand on its own instead of being part of this one.

Would love to have a complete and fully working set of EWQLSO with all articulations.
Great sound vs cpu/disk. Have used it at lot both in Nuendo and Sibelius

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thurisaz,

I agree that Overture’s implementation of mapping articulations is fast. Although if it’s of any interest… someone pointed me to this thread after I posted this feature request: Expression Maps - Make it simpler - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Overture has some mapping simplicity, though it also needs a more organized UI (Don mentioned that he knows this). He invited me to NAMM and he’s easily the most user-oriented programmer I’ve ever known. Plus it’s a serious credit to him being a one-man-band. But that said, I don’t think Steinberg should necessarily look to Overture here. While Don is user-oriented for functionality, UI and ease-of-use are another world. That’s the area that I believe your input is touching on the most.

Anyway, I’d just suggest keeping FR’s closer to the way Dorico/Cubase works. It’s the only way to make headway half the time.

-Sean

Hello,

Does anyone know if Dorico also supports the al new Iconic Orchestra Library by HALion with an expression map?

Thanks a lot for some information!

Fabian

Dear Fabian,
Please search the forum before you post.

Hi to the Forum.

I’m attempting to finally start using Dorico in its version 2, and have been watching the YouTube Dorico videos etc so I can start to get familiar with it. I would need some time to learn how to create an expression map, so, instead, what I’m planning to do is to import a midi file from a score I’ve been working on in Sibelius (as a midi file exported from Sibelius), and then open it in Dorico. I’d like to import all of the controller data etc achieved in my original score and edit it further in Dorico using it’s new controller lanes. Is it possible, that we can “type” key switch messages into the Dorico score as we do in Sibelius and “hide” them?

thanks if anyone has any info on this. Sorry if this is an obvious question - I’ve just starting to watch the Dorico videos on note entering etc, so this is all new to me.

best,

Steve.

You can’t type MIDI messages directly into Dorico using text as you can in Sibelius, so you can’t add keyswitch notes using text: you will indeed need to create an expression map to send keyswitch notes.

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply. Yes, you correct, an expression map is going to be the way to go, and from the videos I’ve seen, it doesn’t appear to be that hard. I’ll watch again and give it a go. I’m enjoying what I’ve seen so far about Dorico. Very exciting learning new software, and Dorico has so many amazing features, I’m itching to get stuck into learning it :slight_smile:

best,

Steve

It is possible to keep key-switches on an independent supplementary play-back stave which you manually redirect to the same plugin/channel. You can then filter such a supplemental player/stave from view via master page settings in the engrave mode. From there such hidden staves will show up in Galley View, but be hidden from your page view.

Ultimately you’ll want to build your expression maps and attach things to techniques, but it’s nice to know that when you need to manually apply key-switches frequently, a supplemental stave is an option.

I am very interested in VSL maps for orchestral and percussion instruments. With VSL one often has to input a keyswitch, controller value and patch number for the desired sound. Is that currently possible with Dorico?

As a long-term and committed VSL user, I hope that the Dorico and VSL teams continue to work together to improve the relationship between Dorico and VSL playback.

Would it be easy to modify this for the Garritan Instrument library that comes with Finale? Also, is there a Playback template for Aria Player?

There is no playback template for ARIA, but you can of course set it up yourself. I can’t speak to whether or not it would be easy to modify the GPO5 expression map to match up to the Finale bundled sound library.

The GIFF (Garritan Instruments for Finale) is mostly a subset of GPO, so shouldn’t be too difficult.

I’m confused between the doricolib files, which Dorico imports, and the expressionmap files available from Steinberg, which Dorico doesn’t seem to import.

I’m going to setup a Github project for creating ARIA support files.

Thanks @Mark for GPO5 download link page. I also needed the download link.

[/quote]

It is possible to keep key-switches on an independent supplementary play-back stave which you manually redirect to the same plugin/channel. You can then filter such a supplemental player/stave from view via master page settings in the engrave mode. From there such hidden staves will show up in Galley View, but be hidden from your page view.

Ultimately you’ll want to build your expression maps and attach things to techniques, but it’s nice to know that when you need to manually apply key-switches frequently, a supplemental stave is an option.
[/quote]

Hi Brian,

I just found your post. Thanks for that. That is exactly what I’m looking for. If it can do that, well, that will do for the time being while I’m getting to learn my way around Dorico. I’ll have to start experimenting with this, but before I can do what you’ve recommended, I need to get to work on learning how to set up my score first, enter notes, etc etc, as at the moment, I’m still working on the score in Sibelius, which I plan to export over to Dorico when finished, and see how I go from there.

thanks again for your reply.

Steve :slight_smile:

Is it possible yet to sniff out or own templates? I’m not afraid of XML and have some experience with sending proper VSTi paths for calling up Garritan instruments, but no idea where such files should go in Dorico.