Extend beam horizontally?

Is there a way to extend a beam horizontally like this:

It’s like adding a partial beam to the left, but I haven’t been able to find a way to do it, even manually in Engrave mode. My reason is for maximum notational clarity in its rather atypical context, to make it as obvious as possible that the group of three 16th notes does not start on a beat.

Select the note you want to have the partial beam, then to to Properties (bottom panel, Cmd+8 on Mac) > Beaming and enable Partial beam direction.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 5.14.26 PM

Thanks! I’d forgotten that feature. One might argue that if the meter is 2/2, the triplet should consist of quarter notes instead of eighths.

1 Like

Wow, that easy! Thanks!

What about a single 16th note like this? “Partial beam direction” seems to have no effect on a single note.

I’d like to engrave it that way to show that it’s finishing up the end of a beat.

You cannot show this kind of partial beam for a single note. You’d need a (hidden) rest in this situation as well.

1 Like

I discovered an easy way to do this for a single note! If I select the note and do “beam together”, it turns out exactly how I want.beam

2 Likes