External Instrument/Instrument Track playback only when track is soloed

I’ve never had this issue before, so it’s a real head scratcher as to why it’s happening now.

I’m in the process of putting a backing track together and was adding strings using an Instrument Track routed to an external keyboard, configured as an external instrument. This is the kind of thing I do every day. Recording the part was fine, but when I wanted to listen back to it, there was no playback from the instrument track, just all the existing audio tracks, despite there clearly being MIDI data on the track.

I couldn’t see any explanation for it, but I happened to solo the instrument track and I immediately got playback of the strings I had just recorded. When I took the track off solo, the strings disappeared again. The instrument track will only play back when it’s soloed!

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

My system:

• Windows 11 Pro PC Intel i7 9700K @ 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM
  • Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen) & OctoPre
  • Korg Kronos 2 88 using USB MIDI

What I did:

• Created drums/percussion tracks using Groove Agent 5 on an instrument track and performed a multitrack render in place.
  • Created a bass track using Waves Bass Fingers on an instrument track and performed a render in place.
  • Created el. piano and tape vocal tracks using the Kronos on separate instrument tracks and performed a render in place for both.
  • Recorded two ac. guitar tracks with a live guitarist.
  • Created the first strings part using the Kronos on an instrument track, but then encountered the playback issue.

Here’s a link to a quick video I made of the problem so you can see/hear what’s happening:

Interestingly, I had procdump running in the background and this issue didn’t trigger a dump file, so I can’t give you anything else to go on. I must have done something to cause this, but I simply can’t think of what that is! Please help!!

Hi,

Sorry, the video doesn’t work for me.

Could you try to click the Deactivate All Mute States even if the button seems to be inactive, please?

Hi Martin,

That did the trick!! Thank you so much. :+1::+1: