I’ve never had this issue before, so it’s a real head scratcher as to why it’s happening now.
I’m in the process of putting a backing track together and was adding strings using an Instrument Track routed to an external keyboard, configured as an external instrument. This is the kind of thing I do every day. Recording the part was fine, but when I wanted to listen back to it, there was no playback from the instrument track, just all the existing audio tracks, despite there clearly being MIDI data on the track.
I couldn’t see any explanation for it, but I happened to solo the instrument track and I immediately got playback of the strings I had just recorded. When I took the track off solo, the strings disappeared again. The instrument track will only play back when it’s soloed!
Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?
- Windows 11 Pro PC Intel i7 9700K @ 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen) & OctoPre
- Korg Kronos 2 88 using USB MIDI
What I did:
- Created drums/percussion tracks using Groove Agent 5 on an instrument track and performed a multitrack render in place.
- Created a bass track using Waves Bass Fingers on an instrument track and performed a render in place.
- Created el. piano and tape vocal tracks using the Kronos on separate instrument tracks and performed a render in place for both.
- Recorded two ac. guitar tracks with a live guitarist.
- Created the first strings part using the Kronos on an instrument track, but then encountered the playback issue.
Here’s a link to a quick video I made of the problem so you can see/hear what’s happening:
Interestingly, I had procdump running in the background and this issue didn’t trigger a dump file, so I can’t give you anything else to go on. I must have done something to cause this, but I simply can’t think of what that is! Please help!!