External synth and vsti

Using W7 64 Bit,
different input source? I currently use “all media inputs” in the inspector, could choose M3 or Fasttrack C400 (my audio interface)…none produce any sound… under vst connections I can also chose digital vs analog input which both seem to work for vst instruments but again none for M3 (by the way which ones to chose analog or digital?)… I am currently routing sounds from M3 main audio output L/R to Line Input 1/2 of my audio interface … :frowning: by the way, thanks for all your help and patience :slight_smile:

Yeah, sorry I didn’t mean change the connections in Cubase, rather to try an alternative to the M3 like a mic or another keyboard… anything that you can confirm is making a noise.

Stick with the analog.

Totally different approach: Have you checked, that the MIDI is actually reaching your M3, for example by plugging a headphone into the M3 and listening if it is actually producing any sound when triggerd by MIDI…?

Interesting… if I connect a MIC I can record e.g. my voice on an audio track and it works together with the vsti!! Good news… but M3 is not working …

So thats your problem right there. If the M3 has a local on/off switch have you turned it off?

If so, if you turn it on and play the keyboard can you then get sound into Cubase?

Just to make sure the Keyboard is routing audio to its outputs, then we can see if the keyboard is getting midi.

Thinkingcap: if I plug in headphones in my M3 I receive a sound!
Split: Local is off

@Thinkingcap: works, I can hear the M3 sounds if using headphones plugged directly into the M3
@split: Local control has been off.

As it should be if using it as a sound module, to split the keyboard from the internal sounds, it looks very much like a M3 sound routing problem, what output jacks are you using on the M3?

I am using main output jacks L/mono and R

can you try plugging your monitors into them (with the volume down low) and see if any noise comes out?

yes I can play my M3 if connected directly to the monitors…

Also you are plugging the keyboard into the rear connectors (the ones in the centre of the XLRs) of the audio interface and have the interfaces selection buttons press to rear?

yes…

don’t know if this helps, but if I play on my m3 on a midi track in the meantime I can see MIDI In and Out activity as well as audio activity (default input channel) on transport panel… as well as meter moving on my c400 fasttrack… only thing which is still missing is “audio activity (main mix output channel)”

Hmm

That would usually indicate the Audio Channel is not connected to the output?

Have you tried importing an audio sample into cubase and see if you get any sound out?

never tried that before but funnily enough my mike recording worked… so it seems there is only some problem playing the m3? (actually I am not experienced with audio recording, have not yet tried to import a sample, am quite new to this)

Oh yeah forgot about that!

So just to reaffirm when you play the m3 with the local switch on and a stereo audio track with the monitor button pressed you still get no sound?

Now I think we might be almost there, but it is getting weird!!!

I finally got a sound from my M3 through my monitors but only with the following strange constellation:

I have a MIDI and an AUDIO track (with monitoring on). I need to have my MIDI track selected BUT can still mute it…playing a note will play through my monitors. But if I select the audio track instead it won’t work,if I select my MIDI track and mute the AUDIO it won’t work either…so it seems like my MIDI track is triggering the AUDIO even if MIDI is on mute. But only both seem to be working together??? very strange, but we might be VERY close

…and I was local off