Extra Harddrive Space - How?

Hello All.

I am currently running Cubase 6.5 Artist with some Native Instrument VSTs on my computer, on my 120 GB SSD HDD.

My problem is im running out of space for new VSTs / Sound Libraries etc.

Question:

If I buy an external USB HDD and keep my VST libraries such as Maschine, Session Strings etc. On that external harddrive - What happens when I load the file into Cubase / The VST player?

Will the file once loaded into Cubase (or one of the Native Instrument VST players) then only spend CPU and Memory power? Or will it become slow as fu** due to the external harddrive (USB Harddrive)?

EX: I have a Maschine drumkit called Trance “blablala” on my external USB HDD. I load it into Cubase. Is the further use then determined by CPU/Memory? Or also the external harddrive?

/ Viegaard

Well, if you have windows 7/8, it’s no problem, as you can keep your VST’s (except for VST3’s) wherever you want. All you have to do is tell Cubase where they are. If you use a mac, however, your only solution is to buy a larger SSD. VST’s are loaded into RAM, so if the external drive isn’t particularly fast, the only drawback is that it will take a little longer to load them. Of course if you have VST’s that stream data (like huge Kontakt-based piano/orchestral libraries), then it’s a completely different ballgame.

Basically, the library control program’s .dll file is referenced by Cubase. The Cubase project file stores the MIDI notes that will tell that control program what notes to play.

From there, what happens is dependent upon whether the library streams from disk or loads the complete instrument into RAM. If streaming, only the FIRST block of ALL notes in the patch (including those that are not used) are loaded. While those are playing, the library loads the NEXT blocks of any PLAYING notes.

I would keep the existing drive, and just add another one. That allows two drives to be searching and reading at the same time instead of one. Less outlay as well. If using a USB 2.0 drive, I suggest putting the lesser used libraries on it due to the slower speed.

If you are contemplating an external drive, I suggest using eSATA because it is exactly the same speed as your internal drive. Gigabyte motherboards used to come with a dual eSATA+power bracket that included cables that plugged into the normal SATA connectors. Otherwise, buy one. Some motherboards already have eSATA connectors on the back panel.

If you want advice regarding your setup, you should put what your system consists of in your signature. Otherwise you may get a lot of irrelevant suggestions, or very few good ones because you are being a bit of a dip-stick ( :open_mouth: ) by not providing relevant details!