Extra optional parts

Hello.

I am working on some film music, which also will have a concert version. There is Flute, Alt Sax, Oboe, and Bariton Sax. For the concert purposes, I would like to have an optional versions part like if not Bariton Sax it can be played on Tenor, or for example Alt sax can be the only sax and Bariton part would be played on Bassoon.
I can’t figure out though how to do these extra parts so the score isn’t full of these optional parts. I would like to have score the original version with optional parts.
I tried to Google the answer but didn’t find what I was looking for. Is this possible or do I have to create a new file and copy the music to it or just have to have all this in full score?

Thank you very much.

You can use the new feature from 3.5.10 that allows you to duplicate a part in Setup mode, and in the right panel, right click that duplicate part and change the Clef and Transposition Overrides.
Providing those extra instruments are not ticked (and they are not, since those are not real extra instruments) in the left panel when you select your full score, they will not appear in your score layout. But you will be able to print those parts when needed.
Check the Version History if you want more detailed explanations :wink:

1 Like

Information about clef and transposition overrides is now included in the manual.

For removing players from the full score layout (but keeping them in the project and in their own individual part layouts), see here.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to dig more into it. I think I kind of tried what you are suggesting (I think it is the video I’ve saw from Dorico), but the problem I had was that I in some cases wanted to move some measures by octave in the Tenor Sax (opt.), but that affected also the Baritone.

I will try to play with it more.

Thank you both for your time.

I think I figured it out.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

just for completeness: you could also create a new player (bassoon) assigned to the same flow but not to the score and copy and paste the music of the sax into it. There you could also make changes like octave-transpositions etc.

It might be useful to create a second score layout with all the instruments to have some overview. But this of course will not be the score you give to the conductor :wink: You don’t even need to export it!

2 Likes