Extra orange hash markings above bar don't go away

I am trying to figure out if this is a bug or user error (entirely possible). I am finding that from time to time when I change the position of the cursor for entering a note to a new measure, the previous measure retains the orange hash marks that indicate beat positions in the bar, and there is a grey notehead floating in the measure. I can still proceed to other measures to enter notes, but I can’t figure out how to get the previous hash marks to go away. I attached a screenshot.

Do you use pitch before duration?

That is a good question. I am trying to get more proficient at using the computer keyboard for note entry and I typically place the cursor, hit return, then either use the duration that is correctly selected and press the pitch, or, with the cursor in position, enter a duration and then a pitch. Is the sequence more critical than I realized?

I’m not sure what’s going on. I haven’t seen this before!

I just watched a tutorial on the pitch before duration function, and will do some experimenting to see if that may be the answer. Since it kind of happens seemingly randomly, it could be that I have accidentally pressed the “k” key…but not sure why it would get stuck there.

Thanks for giving me an avenue to explore.

1 Like

It looks like you’re dragging a selection to the previous bar with the mouse?

No. The hash marks remain in the first measure whether I am clicking around in other measures to place the cursor in a different measure, or even entering notes in a different measure.

Thanks for the link to the solution.