Extra Space for Intervals of a Second?

I’m wondering if there is an option somewhere that would add extra space for these intervals of a second so the spacing looks more even visually.

1 Like

Automatic and globally I believe there is not, but you could insert a Note Spacing Change for just the affected region, which could also be done in a layout-specific context. Another NSC would then be used to reset the NS to its previous value.

Thank you, Michele. A note spacing change didn’t really do much. If I manually move some of the eighth notes to the left, I can get this:

This is better to my eye. (The left hand is playing eighth notes that last beat, which is why the quarter rest has more space than the previous one.) I was hoping there were other spacing options that I’m missing.

1 Like

Here is the arrangement, for anyone who wants to take a look at the spacing. I haven’t gone through it all yet, although the first couple of systems have been manually spaced.
Hark the Herald Angels Sing.dorico (1016.8 KB)

Thanks! I agree that a dedicated setting for this should exist somewhere.
I believe someone has recently posted a request about this, but can’t recall exactly who, or when.

1 Like

Me. I’d like the ability to offset the 2nds slightly.

1 Like

That’s one of the spacing improvements boasted about by Lilypond users. Most other notation programs don’t seem to do this as well without manual intervention. Another example is the alternation of upset and downstem quarter or half notes. Most notation programs space the noteheads evenly although this yields a result in which two adjacent stems will seem too close together. I’ve no idea how one might solve this practically, especially in an ensemble piece in which the beats must align.

The problem with this sort of thing is the spacing in a work with several instruments. Altering those alternating seconds with rests in one instrument will result in unpleasant spacing anomalies in the other instruments. Dorico does have a setting for even spacing for cross-staff notes but it understandably only works if the multi-staff instrument is alone. Perhaps there could be a similar setting for these situations.

1 Like

Once you reach a number of instruments, there will always be strange offsets in one part that are caused by “things” going on in another part.