Extract voices of chords

Hi

I record a (MIDI) violin/viola/celli acc. so there is 3 midi notes in every chord. Now I want Cubase 8 to “assist” me in selecting those voices one by one so I can copy it to the violin/viola/cello tracks.
In Sibelius and (I think) Finale its done by a kind of macro, and in Cubase it must involve the logical editor, but I can’t find out how to do it.
Can anyone help? :confused:

Given that, from the MIDI point of view, what we really wish to achieve here is to set the MIDI channel for each voice, so that we can then either Explode the Part, or just switch the Score Editor to Polyphonic Staff, if your chords are well organised (e.g. rigidly 3 notes per chord) then the Logical Editor can be a big help…
Set the upper section of the Logical Editor like this (you’ll have to repeat the process for each individual voice)…

Context Variable___Equal___Note Number in Chord___ (“0” for lowest, “1” for next one up, etc.)

Lower Section…
Channel___Set to Fixed Value___ (I usually do “4” for celli, “3” for violas, “2” for 2nd violin, and “1” for 1st violin)

Function = “Transform”

I always used to do this manually, and it wasn’t very difficult… and I still do so when there may be some divisi happening in certain places, and I want to make some empiric decisions (I use the Key Editor for this)…
I Set the Color Settings to “Channel”, and go through the MIDI Part, from left to right, Shift-selecting all the notes that I want to go to, say, voice #2. Once I have my selection, I change the MIDI channel for that selection, in the Info Line, and then my “voice 2” line gets its own color. I then go through again, and do the same for voice #3, etc.
I now have a couple of possibilities…
I can now either Explode the MIDI part into its individual MIDI channels (therefore each voice is now on its own track), or I can open the Score Editor immediately, and set the Staff to “Polyphonic” (with appropriate settings for the voices).

… This has just provoked me to build a Logical Editor that takes into account 2nd violin divisi (just as an example) :wink:
It presumes a basic format of 3-note chords, but with provision for the occasional 4th note that is intended to join voice #2. (I’ll make a couple more, now that I have got it working ok :wink:, so that I can work with a standard 4- part string section, just have to change the note number(s) to change which voice will accommodate the divisi)…