Extremely high energy usage. Dorico 3

By following your trick, a problem may happen if you recover the backup of your current system state from Time Machine, or if you migrated your current system to another mac using Migration Assistant. In both cases, GateKeeper reevaluate certificates of all applications executed (plus checking their intact status), and then you feel that you have to reinstall Dorico again, and run at least once, then redo your video engine removal trick.

WARNING: Deleting the bundle file can cause Dorico fail to pass GateKeeper check in case you finished your macOS system migration to a new mac or just recovered your system from your Time Machine backup.

Though we can use the following command to bypass the GateKeeper (it may be ineffective in future macOS releases):

sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Dorico 3.app"

Here comes the proper procedure to disable / reenable video engine on macOS (10.14 and newer):

reenable video engine:

sudo chmod a+x "/Applications/Dorico 3.app/Contents/Components/videoengine.bundle"

disable video engine:

sudo chmod a-x "/Applications/Dorico 3.app/Contents/Components/videoengine.bundle"

Are we sure that even changing the attributes won’t fail GateKeeper?

Migration to a new computer often requires reinstallation of complex apps, anyway. If you’re restoring your entire system from TM, then surely you’ll recover Dorico in whatever state it was in at that time. You’ll always have the complete version from earlier.

Stop talking like WHO before you really have finished a test with macOS Catalina.
When macOS feels like itself gets migrated into a new CoreStorage volume (volume UUID changes), the GateKeeper automatically reevaluate all applications you run for once (per each volume UUID change). UUID change may happen if you do the following:

1. using Disk Utility (or its CLI version) to duplicate the system volume to a new one. (Or volume set since macOS Catalina: You can do “recover” to duplicate an installed macOS Catalina system volume set from one APFS container to another one.)
  2. using System Migration Assistant to migrate your system volume to another mac.
  3. using 3rd-party backup tool to migrate your system volume to a new volume with different volume UUID (CoreStorage or APFS, can be any of volume UUID and container UUID, or both).
  4. using Time Machine backup to recover your system to an earlier state (after formatting your current system volume), or as a procedure to recover your system to a blank volume. Note that reformatting a CoreStorage or APFS volume leads to an auto application of a new volume UUID. If you didn’t reformat your system volume but just manually cleaned the volume by something like “sudo rm -rf /”, then GateKeeper reinitialization may be bypassed. // NOTE: Even if the volume UUID doesn’t change in your cases, there may be other possible factors which can let the GateKeeper reset its quarantine, hence reevaluating all apps running.

At worst, you can restore the ‘complete’ Dorico app from an earlier backup. If you’re restoring your entire system from TM, then surely you’ll recover Dorico in whatever state it was in at that time. You’ll always have the complete version from earlier.

What if your earlier Dorico backups have their intact signatures broken (due to the removal of video engine), too?

“xattr” flags won’t ruin the application signature.
It might be worthy to discuss whether the notarization status can be affected; meanwhile, my friends (who develop macOS apps) said it can’t be affected by that.

Migration to a new computer often requires reinstallation of complex app, anyway.

Not for macOS.

Ulf - Thanks. I do understand how to move it to the trash - where I got confused was where another post indicated that it had simply been dragged to the desktop; in my case that only created an alias, leaving the video.bundle still in the folder. I will move it to the trash, and hope that resolves the issue. Much appreciated!

In a face of Corona-Situation in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, I have to cancel my piano lessons for 3 weeks and I am considering to give my pupils Online-Dorico-Classes instead. I did my first test with Dorico SE and I am wondering that a High CPU usage issue is still (!) not solved. I installed Dorico on other MacBook Pro and CPU gets crazy (105 -130%) while playing a simple song with 2 instruments. I know, deleting videoengine solves this problem, any way I have to explain it everybody separately. Do we have any chance to see a fix in a nearest future? I am tending to recommend Dorico for more then 30 potential clients, any way I have to excuse me in a same time I recommend an application which doesn’t do properly what it have to…

1 Like

It doesn’t affect “everybody”. Ulf said they have “several” reports and there are about five users who reported it it in this thread. How many Dorico users on Mac do you think there are, compared with those five?

I work with several Dorico users in composition courses, and I think I have seen either one or zero of their computers with the high energy-use issue (I haven’t asked them specifically so it’s hard to tell) .

If they don’t think they have a problem, then they don’t have a problem:)

Well, I think at least one of their computers’ fan goes on high when they play their score; that’s what I was talking about. But maybe they have an old computer, or another issue, etc. For what it’s worth, I had this issue on my 2015 MacBook Pro, and when I upgraded to the new 16" MacBook Pro in December, and reinstalled Dorico, my Activity Monitor spiked until I removed the videoengine.bundle. But I’m glad to hear that this affects only a minority of users.

It’s not that we don’t want to solve this issue, it’s just that the video engine team is facing special circumstances (no, not Corona). So all we can say is, yes, we will fix it in the future, but can give no time frame of when this will happen. Not a very satisfying answer, but that’s all we can say at this moment. But it is good that you raise the issue here again, that keeps the pressure up on us.

None of my three machines suffer from this issue.

I am experiencing this issue as well. I am using a 15" MacBook Pro from Mid 2014 (2,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750m 2GB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.3 and the latest Dorico Elements 3.1.10.1032.
Removing the videoengine.bundle solved the high CPU issue (around 150%) as well, but this is obviously only a current workaround, since I am planing to use the video engine and markers in the future. Please investigate this issue and fix it.

Welcome to the forum, pf_musichead. If you look at Ulf’s reply two posts before yours, you’ll see that we are well aware of the issue.

1 Like

Hello Daniel, thank you. I noticed this behaviour even, when I have no video file in my project. In addition, when I open the video viewer (F4) shortly and close it before I hit the play button (space), CPU stays normal (at around 22%).

Hi,

Fresh new Dorico user, here. Just a quick jump to say that I’m experiencing the same problem, and thank you, pf_musichead, because with this little trick (open and close the video window before playback), I can now hear the music without glitches! My Dorico CPU usage during playback drastically went down. But for a large score (let’s say the Dorico Prelude demo), I still get high CPU and glitches from middle of song till the end (a big improvement though, as it started within 5 second, without the open/close video window trick).

(I also tried to disable the video engine, as ShikiSuen explained earlier in the thread , and I got the same results as the open/close window video trick).

(I am aware that the team is aware of the problem, thanks to you all!)

Dual core machines sometimes have more difficulty than those with more cores.

If it can help anyone, I finally had a “perfect” run of the Dorico Prelude (my playback reference, as it encounters a lot of instruments!)

In addition to open/close the video window trick (or disable the video engine), I did :

1. change the buffer size to the maximum (2048, instead of the default 512)
  2. in HALion : Options : Performance : I selected Multi-Core : 2 (instead of default OFF)

The CPU got quite high towards the end of the song, but no hiccup/glitch. I’m glad!

1 Like

With 3.5 released now, was there any change to the videoengine to fix the issue that some of us encounter?

No, the video engine is the same version that is included with Dorico 3.1.