F6 F7 F8 do not work in Control Window

Contrary to WL7 these global keys (F6 F7 F8) do not work at all if Control Window is the active window (the manual says they should)

Where do you see that in the manual? These shortcuts are Transport bar shortcuts and there is no Transport in the Control Window, hence they can’t work from there.

Page 126 “Playback shortcuts”:

In addition to the buttons on the transport bar, there are shortcuts that can be used even when the wave window or montage window is not the active window.

[F6]
Starts playback of the selected range, depending on the selected option in the Ranges section of the transport bar.
[F7]
Starts playback from the selected anchor, depending on the selected option in the Anchors section of the transport bar.
[F8]
Starts playback until the selected anchor, depending on the selected option in the Anchors section of the transport bar.

Space bar, 0 (numkey) and Enter do work.
Especially F6 “playing selection” from Control Window is absolutely crucial for me (for example when setting plugin parameters “on the fly”)

Thanks, this will need to be corrected in the manual.

Hmm - not exactly the answer I was hoping for…
You mean that contrary to WL7 there’s no way to play audio (selection) from Control Window in WL8?

You can use the Space bar, Enter and 0 on the num pad.

The problem is these keys are actually input keys (by that I mean they are / can be used for typing in) which is very inconvenient when setting parameters in a plugin windows where values can be typed in incl. “0” confirmed by “Enter” or checkboxes checked / unchecked (usually with Spacebar) - that’s why the F6 F7 F8 concept is - ehm was so great and why I use(d) it all the time (in WL7)
This is a big issue for me… :frowning:

WL8 feels really good so far, nevertheless I do wonder why do you break things that worked just fine?

…but not for playing the selection which is crucial for example for restoring

The problem is these keys are actually input keys (by that I mean they are / can be used for typing in) which is very inconvenient when setting parameters in a plugin windows where values can be typed in incl. “0” confirmed by “Enter” or checkboxes checked / unchecked (usually with Spacebar)

When you are in an input context (eg.text field), these playback shortcuts are disabled. And such a context does not happen in the Control Window.
When you work on a montage or a wave, why would the control window be active? (a reason could be the presence of the Master Section in the control window, something I regret to have implemented).

An that is exactly the case! Using dual-monitor setup I put Master Section to the second display e.g. apart from the Wave window, so whenever I work with plugins it is the Control Window which is THE active window…

PG, I hope you realize how serious this is as you broke something very important? In a multi-display scenario it is - I believe - the most reasonable setup to put Wave / Montage window on one display, and Control Window with all meters / info windows AND Master Section on the other (at least I do it this way for many years since WL6 and I know many other WL users who do the same). Then, naturally, if I work with plugins within Master Section, I am active in the Control Window area. And when working with / setting plugins, the usual way is to set / tweak parameters, play / listen, stop, retweak, play, tweak while playing, stop, make selection, play the selection, retweak plugin, play the selection etc. etc. Now in WL8 you suddenly make this impossible!
Instead of “correcting” the manual, which BTW logically follows what was written in WL7 Help and possible in WL for years, I believe you should correct the real “core” of the problem and make WL8 work the way it is described in the manual e.g. the way it needs to work!

Single-display users probably wonder why am I so anxious, but this is indeed a show-stopper for me as it makes operations like (but not only) restoration in WL8 a real pain :cry:

I understand this can be a nuisance, because it’s easy to set the focus elsewhere than on the audio window. I will try to change this.
Currently, the easiest solution is to dock the Master Section inside the audio workspace.

Thank you - I really hope you will.

Yes, I already figured this as a so-so workaround.

Problem still persists in 8.0.3 e.g. thee is no change at all = VERY disappointing :frowning: It’s such a PITA…
PG, PLEASE, do something about it…

Currently, putting the Master Section in the audio workspaces is the way to avoid the problem.

I am sorry PG, but you simply just repeat what you told me almost 4 months ago - what I hope for is an actual fix of the problem… Or does it mean the comment of yours “I will try to change this” is not valid anymore?

Having shortcuts active in 2 different windows at the same time is normally not possible (only one window has the focus). The solution to this will require some important changes.

This is too bad :frowning: I still don’t get it as it worked just fine in WL7 (after a looong struggle I had with iZotope in order to persuade them to fix their RX2 suite)
WL8 is great but this is SO annoying! But it seems I am the only one using RX extensively on 2 monitors…

It seems you did some changes to WL 8.5, right? In 8.5.10 if the plugin window is active then shortcuts work, however if I click on any control (fader) within the plugin window, shortcuts still don’t work (clicking on the plugin frame enables shortcuts back - in WL 8 this did not work and I had to click to Audio window on my primary monitor)
Is this the best I can get / hope for?