FabFilter Pro-Q3 clip eq not recalling settings

Hey there!
When we use the Pro-Q plugin on clips in Wavelab 11, the settings are sometimes not saved when we re-open the montage at a later date. When we click on the plugin instance it’s there and it opens, but the settings are zero’ed. This happens maybe 20% of the time. It’s not insignifcant. It seems to be totally random as to when it does or doesn’t occur. Any help would be very welcome! Thanks!
Larry Lachmann / Fred Kevorkian

You will probably have to provide more info here.

Mac or Windows? Which version?
WaveLab Pro or Elements? Which specific version?
Which version number of the plugin? VST2 or VST3?

I use this plugin on Clips in the Audio Montage all the time and have not yet experienced this.

I also just closed and reopened a montage over 20 times in a row and the Pro-Q3 inserted on one of the clips did not lose its settings.

I have had a similar issue with Voxengo Elephant. PG suggested this and it seemed to ‘fix’ what ever the issue was (this is a Windows 10 path):

Try erasing this file:
\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 11\Preferences\PluginSettings.dat
and restart WaveLab.

1 Like

Hi Justin,
Thanks for responding. Here are the extra facts you mention:
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Wavelab Pro 11 (11.1.10 - build 39 - x64)
The Pro-Q3 is VST 3
And we’re running it on a 2021 Dell Workstation. (A Precision 5820 Tower) - in case you need that info.
Thanks so much-
Larry

And the sidechain compression doesn’t work anymore for ProC2 or proq3!

@FRED_K Not a fix … but this identical experience with Elephant caused me to always save the montage settings in the session folder (I typically wasn’t doing that until the end of the project prior to archive). At least that way if it does open with zeros you can reload it. I do a fair bit with Voxengo and Aleksey and we were pretty confident it wasn’t the plug. I should add that this happened frequently enough to be a temporary deal breaker for me for a time and I went back to 9.5 for a while.

PG’s suggested fix and the last update seemed to have solved the issue here … although I use the Output not clip effects most of the time.

In fact, current version of WL seems rock solid.

All three machines are running Windows 10 Pro latest update and latest WL version.

Thanks Paul. I’m not sure what you mean by “save the montage settings in the session folder”. Can you explain please? We save changes to the montage itself as we work, but I’m not sure what you’re referring to exactly.
Thanks so much!
Larry

@FRED_K Hey Larry … apologies for delay (different time zones).

You can save and recall plug in chains from the ‘buttons’ next to the Menu button at the top of the montage effects section.

I have attached three screenshots to give you the idea. Once you click ‘save’ a dialogue opens. Similarly for ‘Load’. (I had to blur the ‘save to’ location as it referred to a label client … but I always have a ‘settings’ folder in my session template).

I hope this helps.