Fade up, chopped audios as a single event?

Is there any way to fade up or down the volume of chopped audios as a single event?

for further reference see my example:

Did you try the line tool in the tool bar? (Never used that one so don’t know if it will work?)
Also you could use the tracks volume automation to achieve this.
I guess you don’t want to bounce the file first?

What I want to avoid is automation and bounce, I would think that there is a way in Cubase to achieve this but maybe it is not an added feature yet. The line tool in the bar does not work for this :frowning:

There are 3 ways to change the volume of audio events:

• by using fades on single events
  • by changing the event volume on the event directly
  • by moving the volume fader, trim plugin, gain, etc. of the track (automation)

Now if you want a straight line, like you displayed in the picture, you will have to use automation or bounce the selection and then add a fade in.
Since you don’t want to bounce it, the easiest solution would be to use automation.

Whats your problem with automation? Its fast, efficient and one of the core functions of any DAW.

I understand what you are trying to explain, I know the functions you mention… I just thought that as Cubase being such an advanced DAW there would be another option to do what I expose in the image…

Such option would be quite useful to save space on the hard disk, an audio bounce occupies a heavier audio…

The automation ties the volume parameter in the mixer in a way that makes more complicated the mixing process, an automation using a gain plugin would be the option, but again… it is not what I was looking for…

changing the event volume directly as you can see in my image would be quite laborious…

In conclusion the easiest is a bounce for this kind of drops, however it will take up more space in my disk…

So, what I expose here could be a good feature to suggest for Cubase 12.5.

The question is: how often do you need to do things like these and are these files really taking that much space? We are talking about a couple of mb per project probably.
Nowadays disk space is cheap as **** and it gets cheaper everyday. To simplify things and speed up workflow, bouncing seems to be the best option, if you don’t like automation.

I do it often enough to request it… and yes, disk space can be “cheap” … 5 TB might seem like a lot of space, but it’s not enough when you’re working on hundreds of projects.

But yet, it is the simplest and most effective solution. In which way would that make the mixing process more complicated for you ?
If you bounce to audio, you cannot make any further changes, while with automation you can always modify it.

Personnaly i think the gain plugin (as mention before) is the “easier” way to do if i want to let free my mixer volume fader for later mixing process.
For that purpose iam using EQ frequency…

I don’t know if you are serious about the question… if you automate the volume in the mixer, every time you need to turn it up or down in your overall mix, along with the rest of the volumes in the mixer, you will have to go back to all those volumes you have automated to adjust the automation up or down a few decibels… When there is no automation on a volume in the mixer, you simply move the fader as it should be, so your VCA faders or your groups will work correctly… On the other hand, we don’t have a native gain plugin in Cubase, although we do have a gain parameter, but I like to keep the latter intact for other purposes…

Interestingly, we have none natively…

I can recommend VUMT as a gain plugin to solve that “issue”. It lives on every track in my projects.

I don’t know if my idea is not very well explained, but I think it is very clear by seeing the image, we have options to pan chopped audios, left right automatically to me that feature is great, why not one that does what I propose?

Thanks for the suggestion to solve the issue for the moment with VUMT, I will try it and I hope it is not so expensive! :slight_smile:

I think you’re probably missing out on a few ways of using automation. I’d recommend giving the section on automation another thorough read-through.

if you are commenting here about, it would be better if you share what you are suggesting in regard to the few ways using automation, otherwise your comment is not very useful, with all due respect, maybe there is some function that we have missed that we don’t know about such a basic function as automation, although I sincerely doubt it a little bit

I would have to look into the exact difference between Nuendo and Cubase as far as VCAs go but if it’s the same then you’d assign relevant tracks to a VCA, move the VCA up/down as necessary, and then coalesce VCA automation (if you want).

If that’s not how VCAs work in Cubase then that’s a reason to read the manual (I have Nuendo).

if I am understanding correctly, what you are saying is that when assigning a mixer volume to a VCA (in nuendo) when moving the VCA, it doesn’t matter if the mixer volume had a previous automation in the volume level and automation volume level it will go down or up together with the VCA=… I haven’t tried it, I have my doubts that this is the way it works in Cubase, but if this works like this, it would be wonderful

You understood correctly. The VCA acts as an “offset” to whatever values are written on target channels. In Nuendo specifically it’s necessary to have automation on those target channels for various reasons, but at any rate that’s exactly what I was pointing to - that moving the VCA only acts as a “trim” to existing level automation… in Nuendo…

Not sure to understand if you saying that it’s a 3rd party plug-in, but Frequency is the EQ included in Cubase and Nuendo.
Iam just automating the output of that EQ so that my mixer fader stay free of automation.
Actually there is no dedicate “gain” plug-in but Frequency is not CPU intensive so it does the job pretty well for that purpose :wink:

this is what I mean… a native cubase tool that is able to do this in separated events in a simple way instead of one by one

I think Gatelab could do the trick, and it’s free !