Failed XML Import From Sibelius

Hi,

I can’t get my snare drum to export to Dorico using XML. It imports some of the snare information at first but then the rest of the score is blank with only leftover dynamics and blank tuplets here and there. Any suggestions on how I could transfer this easier besides the manually input everything in Dorico?

from Sibelius:

to Dorico:

1861 Overture v3.08 DMD_Get it done - Snare Drum - 2021-05-26 0851.xml (1.0 MB)

Cheers,
Dillon

Hi DMD
Not sure how “drum related” this is. Because actually, when Dorico cannot read something (usually a tuplet…), all the music after that point is empty, as in your picture. Up to now, the most efficient workflow I’ve used is locate the point where nothing gets exported, check the source, delete the tuplet there and try again. If there are other disruption points, I repeat the “delete tuplet” operation. In the end, I find I have very little to renotate. But of course, YMMV. And this is maybe something drum related :wink:

1 Like

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your reply. I removed Snare/Percussion from the title as you’re perhaps right that its not percussion related since you mentioned Dorico has trouble reading tuplets sometimes.

It’s interesting though that every other tuplet got read from the score except in the snare part. The sad thing for my part is that the rest of the piece is basically tuplets and that is the part that didn’t get transferred over lol.

I’ll work on that for now to see if I can save myself any time from manually inputting.

Cheers,
Dillon

FWIW, I’ve had complicated scores with plenty of strange tuplets (7,9,13…) and only one was causing a problem… I don’t know why :wink:

Hi Guys,

Found a quick/dirty solution. Went into the original Sibelius file and realized the snare drum was on a 5 line percussion staff. I thought to try and convert the snare drum into a 1 line percussion staff, export the score as XML and viola. Dorico imported the snare drum perfectly, tuplets and all, when it was coming from a single line staff.

I guess, Dorico has trouble reading from a 5 line percussion staff using tuplets from XML?

Cheers,
Dillon

Not in general, no. But if you would provide us with the MusicXML file in question, we can take a look and see what’s throwing it off.

Hi Daniel,

I provided the XML in the first post. Is that not what you needed? The xml score above is just the snare 5 line staff part; however, I can PM you the full xml of the score if you need to see the full score.

Cheers,
Dillon

Glad you solved your problem!

1 Like

Sorry, Dillon, I didn’t spot that you had attached the MusicXML file. I’ll look into it and come back to you.

1 Like