Faking a tie before a note (feature request?)

So forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but I wasn’t able to find it. I frequently have the need to “fake” ties, e.g. when mixing slash notation with rhythmic cues, and I routinely use laissez vibrer ties to do this. No bother.

However, I have had to use Sibelius (shudder) for some projects recently (client’s choice) and notices that they’ve added neat little “tie into” feature, which makes doing this much easier than it used to be (fake slurs and all that). I’m not aware of an equivalent in Dorico at the moment (workarounds exist and I’m familiar with them - I’m talking about a straightforward 1-click solution as in Sibelius). Have I missed it, or is this something that might be considered for a future version?

P.S. I know the forum guidelines are to post “projects, not pictures”, but a Sibelius project wouldn’t be much use to many!

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 10.14.50
Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 10.21.30

1 Like

Dorico doesn’t provide a feature like this at present, because our intention is ultimately to handle this automatically as part of a set of features for improving the handling of repeats. For the time being, the way some users choose to handle this is by adding a laissez vibrer tie to the note in the second ending, then in Engrave mode move the whole tie to the left of the note.

5 Likes