[Feature request] AAF support for Cubase

I’m interested in the AAF import/export function in Nuendo and I’m hoping it will be integrated into Cubase for Cubase 7? The other feature that I’m missing is the “Project - Convert Tracks - Multi-channel to mono, mono to multi-channel” feature. Its important for sharing files with people who use protools 9 or earlier. PT 9 and earlier does not support interleaved stereo, and having the multi channel convert feature is very handy, so that it can be converted to dual mono and exported as an AAF or OMF for Protools.

Since these are pretty much the only 2 features I’m missing, I’d like to stick with Cubase and not have to buy Nuendo.

I´m with you regarding the AAF support in Cubase, this would allow me to import AAF from Sony Vegas.
As for the conversion, you can go inside the pool, select yout files , right click - convert files. This should do it.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Just to clarify I dont mean .AIFF support, I mean .AAF support, which is similar to OMF.

BUMP

Don’t hope for too much.
I’ve been asking about an AAF feature for ages - and haven’t gotten so much as an answer.

Maybe it’s some religious thing… :unamused:

The convert files in the pool doesn’t seem to do what is needed, it just makes a stereo interleaved (dual mono file) out of each mono file in the imported omf.

What is needed is the Nuendo option that takes the left and right mono files and re-interleaves them and replaces them in place.

To the OP, yes I agree… a lot of features they reserve only for Nuendo are needed in Cubase. Not all the networking, simultaneous editing features, but some of these like reinterleaving monoized music channels would help. Dealing with them as Mono files even with group tracks is a big pain in the ass.

And Heiner is right, I’ve been asking for this one feature forever and they just ignore you.

I was instrumental in getting our company to use Nuendo instead of Protools and sold quite a few stations for them. I just wish they’d return the favor with some little added features. I don’t expect Nuendo, but I can’t afford Nuendo for home use either.

Exactly. I mean, it’s just a question of keeping up with current technology.
There are still workarounds now, but in two to three years, having an OMF import feature will be about as useful as a glass hammer.
They put the OMF into Cubase back then for a reason - because some Cubase users needed it. Now those same people need AAF, obviously, if they want to continue their work decently, so I’d just like to know what the problem is!
And I can’t see anybody buying Cubase instead of Nuendo just because both of them can import AAF. IMHO that can’t seriously be an argument.

Digital Performer has AAF. So does protools. I think Logic too?

If you are going to charge the same price as these apps Cubase should have the same functionality. Right???

Yes, I desperately want this feature too.

I take it you also say that in their forums about functionality their software has not? Such strange reasoning people use… Steinberg has Nuendo for this type of stuff.

yes but steinberg is asking $1800 USD for Nuendo. I’ll buy DP 8 or protools for the AAF function instead of Nuendo. If Steinberg wants to do a paid upgrade for the AAF function I’d gladly pay, but not $1800 please.

Or get SSL ProConvert and go AAF to OMF, for when full AAF support isn’t critical.

And note that the basic native version of PT 10 includes OMF and AAF for $700 ($400 crossgrade from LE/MP). You only need the CPT for surround, disk caching, etc (and it is worth it).

I sold my Nuendo copy after I bought ProTools and added the CPT (used), for less than Nuendo (and recently upgraded a Cubase copy to 6.5 - still less than Nuendo+NEK retail. PT native upgrades are less than Nuendo’s upgrade costs as well, even with the CPT.

Cubase is a much better deal than Nuendo for 99% of the users out there (composing, music at least). Nuendo is a waste of money for anything other than single-owner post rooms (esp. the $400/version upgrade costs), and even there, ProTools is the better choice if one desires a long term, advancing, post-audio career (in the US at least).

My request would be fore Steinberg to add AAF to Cubase, and edit mode (or better yet, make scrub to picture a pref instead of including the side-effect functionality of edit mode on transport operation, etc).

Imho, there is no reason for Nuendo - just turn networking, advanced automation, 7.1+, etc into add-ons for a single product and drop the two-product identity crisis. Just my opinion.

I wish you “Steinberg has Nuendo for this type of stuff” people would just pause and think for a minute instead of always talking about something they don’t grasp.
Steinberg has Nuendo for audio post for broadcast and motion picture. And in my opinion, it’s the best solution there is, in that respect.
AAF is the new universal media interchange format - which OMF (already a part of Cubase, since times when Nuendo was already around) used to be.
It is used for a much broader range of things than audio post, be it cooperating with other artists that have other DAW systems, or receiving a sound collage from a video editor to be incorporated into theme music, etc., etc.
And just because you have never needed it (or, for that matter, have probably never needed OMF either) doesn’t mean it’s expendable to others, especially when all other comparable platforms offer AAF nowadays.
I don’t need the surround panner, e.g., and I don’t go around saying “Steinberg has Nuendo for that stuff” either.
“Strange reasoning”. Pff. :unamused:

Try reading first; the ‘strange reasoning’ is about this quote: “If you are going to charge the same price as these apps Cubase should have the same functionality. Right??” No, not right. I have nothing against any feature request, except if the argument is ‘because the competition has it’. The competition lacks many things Cubase has - for the same price.

If you can’t afford the $1800 then you don’t need it. Anyone that needs it CAN afford that and will. You wouldn’t need it unless you are getting the $$ through professional trade. And, by implication of your own statement, if you REALLY need it you MUST therefore have A LOT of PAYING customers who all need this service.
It’s a fraction of the cost of a top end microphone.

The thread heading is fine. Nothing wrong with the requests but the whining just sounds like another bedroom producer wanting cheapo-cheapo.

You have a point Arjan, that yes Cubase has many wonderful features other apps don’t have. However this AAF function is different in my eyes. It’s become somewhat of a standard for transfer and is way better than OMF.

Steinberg already paid the money to create this feature for Nuendo. All they have to do is copy and paste this function into Cubase. It’s not like they have to invest tons more money to develop a new feature. A relatively easy thing to implement. I know its not as simple as ‘copy and paste’, but you can see this is not as challenging as some other feature requests. At the very least, offer us a paid upgrade to add these features to Cubase instead of making these features Nuendo exclusive and leaving Cubase users in the dark.

Seems to me like all DAW apps in this price range should have AAF if they want to compete in the marketplace.

The dual-mono stereo interleaved converter from Nuendo would also help tremendously to accommodate transfers to PT9 and earlier. If you’re not going to do AAF, please give us a way to convert our stereo files to dual mono so that they can be transferred via OMF. Right now I have to export and re-import which is impractical for a project with thousands of files.

Leaving these features out just makes me want to switch to another app that accommodates my need to transfer projects…A fairly basic need.

Nah I think I have a good point about the $1,800 Conman. Steinberg will lose me as a customer if I decide to go with Pro Tools or DP.

The thread heading is fine. Nothing wrong with the requests but the whining just sounds like another bedroom producer wanting cheapo-cheapo.

Like me I am an amateur but need high end professional gear best yesterday and for free :wink:

This my friend filterfreak was now a really usless post from me just for the count :imp: :laughing:

Greetz Bassbase

All they have to do is copy and paste this function into Cubase. It’s not like they have to invest tons more money to develop a new feature.

It’s always “simple” to do. I’m pretty sure if it was that easy and cheap then they would have done it.
I reckon they haven’t done it because for most Cubase users there’s no demand.

Everything is simple to do to those who don’t know how it’s done. :laughing:

If it’s doable they’ll do it. The suggestion’s been made and they’ll take note without anyone having to whine about it and how unjust it all is.

Some of you guys here must obviously be applying for a sales-rep position with Steiny. I wish you lots of luck. And Arjan, I see what you mean, the thing is, I work with guys who use DP and Protools. Protools I’m pretty sure is not going to be able to export OMFs anymore as of the next version. It’s gonna be straight AAF, cut and dry, and others will follow.
That means we’re going to have to go to trading stems - NOT a very nice prospect for our workflow.
So you see - if all other “comparable” platforms support a universal interchange format and Cubase does not follow suit, that’s a problem and not just “strange reasoning”
And to the sales rep hopefuls: AAF is a simple, straightforward and licence-free media container used by programs that you can get for FREE. It is no esoterical, black-magic, holy-broadcast-marble-temple pro-feature whatnot that I want to have “Cheapo”. And I do music, not audio post, so why should I buy Nuendo?

And to the sales rep hopefuls: AAF is a simple, straightforward and licence-free media container used by programs that you can get for FREE. It is no esoterical, black-magic, holy-broadcast-marble-temple pro-feature whatnot that I want to have “Cheapo”. And I do music, not audio post, so why should I buy Nuendo?

So? You’ve told them and if it’s as simple as you say I can’t think of a company in the world who wouldn’t have to take notice of such a must-have “company-bankrupting-if-they-haven’t-got-it” feature.

Now tell me that Reaper has it. Now tell me that Logic has it. Now tell me that Ableton has got it.
So if any of those cheaper programs have it (Reaper is expecially free) you can use those as well.

And I do music, not audio post, so why should I buy Nuendo?

So why do you need it?
Actually you might need it but it’s not that big a deal so why all the fussy-fussy-I-want-to-teach-a-wannabe-salesrep something-new-and-hip-man because I’m a clever weezkeed who spotted something to moan about (that’s not that big a deal actually). :mrgreen:
I’ll bump it because I think it may be needed but I’m blowed if I’ll join in all the self-indulgent Schoolkiddy whining about it.