Feature Request: Aleatory boxes

Either my AleBoxes, or John McKinnon has a solution you can find.

2 Likes

Thank you. Wanted to be sure there wasn’t anything newer since I know this is an old thread. Checking out your font. Thanks Dan!

Sounds like something you might find at a pub. :grinning:

With every upcoming release I find myself back at this post, hoping that now is the time for aleatoric boxes.

Here’s hoping for 5.1!

3 Likes

I’m sorry to say that this won’t be included in Dorico 5.1, but we know it’s a highly-requested feature and it remains very much in our plans.

2 Likes

“I thought it was very effective.” seems to be the usual positive response. At what, remains unclear.

As a performer, they take up a lot of time discussing how to follow the instructions (or devising a scheme where they are lacking): and they end up always sounding the same.

My favourite aleatoric piece is that one that orchestras do at the start of every concert.

2 Likes

Ah yes, a classic!

3 Likes

Same! “This one’s a favorite! They play it every time! The performers know it very well; they don’t even look at the music.” :smile:

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks @dspreadbury! I’m excited for 5.1 nonetheless.

Hello @Alex_Eddington,
Well we are all waiting for a fully functional aleatoric music writing integration in Dorico, but in fact it won’t be a easy task to achieve. After all the lines, the curves, the boxes should not only look fine on the score sheet, but they also need to playback correctly. :slight_smile:
Currently we are able, through workarounds , to achieve a lot in both look and playback, but takes more time and effort.
So, the implementation of a native Aleatoric and Modernist music writing, with it’s correct playback, will be a long journey for the team.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

3 Likes

I’m not expecting or needing playback from aleatoric tools in Dorico! I just want to be able to notate boxes and such natively.

Dorico already can do cool graphical things that aren’t played back accurately (yet): for example time signatures like 4/6, and glissandos :wink:

4 Likes

Agreed.

Jesper

I’m glad there are some of you. But you know that the moment they release a version with native support for such boxes, a majority of users of the feature will complain when it doesn’t play back the way they expected!

4 Likes

Lutoslawski used a different aleatoric notation that involved repeat marks, seen here:

Anyone doing this in Dorico? And is it possible? I personally like it better than boxes.

1 Like

If Dorico can teach a computer to improvise (and still please the composer) that will be a major coup.

Hi @John_Ruggero,
On you questions:

Yes, repeat barline + arrow continuation line (or other line) is possible graphically in Dorico.
Here is an example:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, Thurisaz! I thought that would be a lot easier to do than boxes.

… and if you enter each time signature as local, you can then also enter each repeat as local, so they only appear on that staff.

2 Likes

Maybe :point_right:t4::point_left:t4:

I like to use winged repeats as they are a little more „boxy“ and easier visible for the players.

7 Likes

I have done same. When the Line tool came along this got easier and more fun

1 Like