FEATURE REQUEST: Autobackup like cubase

Could i request an auto backup feature that automatically saves an audio file after a specified certain period of time would be handy, the same way you can do this in cubase, under preferences.

Just had a crash after spending 3 hours editing a dialogue file. Checked temp folder, only a file .$$$ which wouldn’t open.

Just having to spend over 3 hours starting from scratch, my fault i know for not saving but auto backup like there is in cubase would help thx

I am not aware of a feature in Cubase to auto-save audio files, project files – yes, but not audio files. Where is that feature?

Right, there must be some distinction here. WaveLab does auto-backup montage files (.mon) but I don’t see anything about auto-save for audio files. I don’t know that I’d want that either. The montage is not destructive but the audio file editor is.

Maybe it’s from learning recording software on a terrible PC that crashed a lot, but I manually auto-save files all the time (not just audio, but any software). CMD + S is built into my muscle memory when working on anything computer related.

I guess there isn’t a lot of harm as having it as an option that you can turn ON in WaveLab, but I would argue against it being default.

Exactly. I would suggest that auto saving audio files is potentially very dangerous. You could easily lose valuable audio material. I’m sure this is one of the reasons wavelab doesn’t do it.

Exactly. I would suggest that auto saving audio files is potentially very dangerous. You could easily lose valuable audio material. I’m sure this is one of the reasons wavelab doesn’t do it.

Auto-save, yes, but not auto-save backup, which could be useful.
This being said, auto-saving a 1 GB file can’t be transparent, performance wise. And while the saving happens, editing of the file must be locked.

Philippe

I guess so, but could take up an awful lot of disk space compared to Cubendo auto backup which is comparatively small project files (no audio).

How about saving just the edited segments of the file?

Yeah, I didn’t even think about how audio file auto-backups would be HUGE in size compared to a .mon file which is pretty small.