Feature Request: Bugtracker

Could you guys please look into a decent bugtracker? We do have the year 2011, and every big software project should have a decent bugtracker, and not some sticky thread which only get’s maintained half of the time.

Seriously, a bugtracker would allow you to be way more agile, make it a lot easier for both your customers and developers to track down and review bugs, and so on. I know and am very much aware of some of the issues that surround the whole “public bugtracker” topic, but as can be seen by other HUGE software projects (mozilla, drupal, ubuntu, etc…) it can be done.

Thanks!

1 Like

Goodness… its suggesting that you really think they don’t use one at present…!?!

I’d think it impossible they could function as a software house without some sort of “decent” bugtracker (which implies, version control) myself… :wink:

If it helps, its been mentioned before that they use a program called DevTrack internally; and no, don’t for one minute think any of the kind of detail contained therein, is going to be exposed publicly…! We see an ID number (which most other companies do too - Ableton, Adobe, etc…) as a measure of whether a bug is ‘officially logged’ and is understandably about the limit of info for our purposes (and this SB does).

Updating any/all internal progress made per bug on the ‘customer’ viewable buglist, on a daily basis or otherwise, is just not going to happen.

In fact, of late ChrisB has even been making a ‘Ready For Testing’ status update on those issues in the ‘customer’ buglist - which hasn’t happened previously to my knowledge. And that is progress in my book… :slight_smile:

Be happy; at least there is some info…! :sunglasses:

You have informed yourself quite well on this occasion haven’t you Puma?

I’m not suggesting they are not using one internally, although, having been in the software industry for close to 16 years, you would be VERY suprised what passes as a “bugtracker” in some big companies, but I digress.

Saying that I should be happy that there is at least SOME info, is laughable at best. Take a look at some of the most successfull software projects, at what you will see is that all of them have a great bugtracking system, not only INTERNALLY, but one that allows the ACTUAL users of their software to report bugs, and allows the developers to respond. This allows the users to INSTANTLY get an overview of current bugs in the software they paid for. At the current time, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see which bugs are in C6, that thread you mentioned is very much incomplete.

I’m not trying to diss on Steinberg, I just wanted to give some constructive critiscism. Things have changed for the better, that one is obvious, and as a Cubase user since the days of the Atari, I am very happy about it. But a bugtracker would significantly make things easier, and most likely reduce CostToServe for Steinberg as well, so even the capitalists have gained :wink:

Steinberg is a success for they have broken ground in so many areas (look on their website).

The last thing they need to do is to give unnecessary information to competitors, as this is not open source software.

There will be an update to the full C5 line of programs it is hoped.

Which company do you know that makes DAW/Media applications that updates old software while building in support for newer versions?

So you think having none at all would be no loss…? And thus at a stroke I’d lose the ability to point to the exact buglist entry for other users who subsequently post with the same issue…? I don’t carry all the items listed there in my head to respond to a frustrated user with a “…I think that one has already been logged - and fixed…!”; nor do I take note of EVERY response from the mods (“…this we have fixed in the next update…” etc, etc…).

So you see, the limited info presented there does have its use - laughable or not for your needs…

Agreed - I do know of other far more comprehensive systems that others use (microsoft for example). And I can understand that there is a lot of value both-ways, with those methods… Though would you not agree these commercial (not ‘free’ open-source) businesses have a much more formal/strict approach to their implementation, with their sign-up programs, ready-made bug-forms to fill out (or applet within the program, to connect you direct on-line), access to test team/developers etc, and are usually far bigger enterprises, working on a far larger scale altogether…? Think Yamaha Corp, not Steinberg…

Well, not impossible… I mean, there’s at least those that are listed, reading down the list so to speak… Yes…? And most have a ‘current’ status attached; and those that don’t are (let me guess) still being progressed and there’s no news to report…?!? Ok, its clear not everything that is reported in the forums as a ‘bug’ is listed there (yet…?), but of course, this is not the official route - that’s via a support ticket from within MySteinberg (do you know about this…?)

+1 - me too…!

You could be right - and I have to agree, it does all sound like it makes the perfect sense; but, all I’m saying is, with their resources and scale of operation, I’m being realistic in saying don’t hold your breath…

To clarify a bit.

Until this forum the “infobase” was not available unless you had a forum account, this is now open for anyone to read.

The problem might be that any bugs identified are not updated quickly enough in the forum, a so-called bug tracker might be able to interface to the database with permissions etc so things are automated a bit but with the new forum, more things may be possible.

Touche…! Yes, thank you, oh thick be-spectacled one… :slight_smile: now, back to the lab for you… :wink:

suckup nerds!