Feature Request (?) Change default artificial harmonic

Not sure if there already is a way to do this (I am sure I will be told here shortly :slight_smile: but I would very much like to change the default artificial harmonic to a 4th. When you toggle on harmonic “type” it goes to artificial and at an octave (the highlighted one below). This seems a bit silly as this (artificial harmonic) is almost never used in string writing? We’re almost always after the 4th…(so I would love if the default was the one on the right).

Along these lines - is there a way to setup a shortcut key command for this? I tried searching through key commands, but I can’t even find a key command for harmonic (which must be wrong?) I’m in Dorico → Preferences → Key Commands.

Screenshot 2021-12-24 at 10.44.28

Thanks so much!

5 Likes

I agree entirely and have also requested this (as have probably others).

You’re not wrong, I’m afraid: at the moment the only way to create these kinds of harmonics is via the Properties panel. We’ve been meaning to add it to the Shift+P popover, but it’s not bubbled up to the top of the priority list as yet.

2 Likes

I would also love to have a key command for string harmonics. Or at least set the preference for the harmonic.

1 Like

I’d support the idea that the “partial” default would be better set as 4, rather than 2. It’s far more common. This would save time in a piece with multiple artificial harmonics.

Additionally it would be good to properly separate artificial harmonics and natural harmonics. This would make EM editing and use of libraries with separate patches for artificial and natural harmonics easier to handle.

2 Likes

I’d also be in favour of having separate artificial and natural harmonic p.t’s rather than the current situation of artificial being effectively a Property of natural. VSL is one vendor who does provide patches for both and for those who want to use both, this would make the creation of EM’s easier.

For those interested, I just recorded my action to make it so it’s now a mini Lua script. Pop this into the script folder with a text file that ends in .lua and you’ll be able to use this.

local app=DoApp.DoApp()
app:doCommand([[UI.InvokePropertyChangeValue?Type=kNoteHarmonicType&Value=string: “kArtificial”]])
app:doCommand([[UI.InvokePropertyChangeValue?Type=kNoteHarmonic&Value=int: 4]])

Scripts appear in the jump bar command list, which makes it pretty quick. If you have Keyboard Maestro (I highly recommend, only $36), you can also make key commands through it to run the scripts.

1 Like