Feature request: custom ensembles

If this feature exists, I’ve missed it. Search on the forum as well.

I’d like the ability to save certain ensemble types, so I can add them with one click in setup. (Yes, I know I can save a blank document for future use!)

For example, I might start working on a lead sheet, and later decide to add my custom orchestra ensembles to it, like a string ensemble with optional simplified violin 2 and viola parts (for my younger players), or a brass sextet exactly as we typically do it. Or even better, an ensemble like “Full Orchestra” with exactly the players I have. It would be nice to create and save this as a custom ensemble that I could add at any time.

1 Like

Yes, we expect to add this at some point in the future.

1 Like

This is great news! Looking forward to this feature!

Dear Daniel, may I ask, whether this particular feature might get incorporated into the next software update?

It’s unlikely, but not impossible.

Hi Daniel, is there any progress regarding the custom ensemble feature? It would be a time-saver for a lot of us i believe.

It’s still on our backlog for future versions. Certainly I agree that it is important that it should be quicker to add multiple players and instruments to the project, and custom ensembles is one possible way to allow this. We have other ideas, too.

In the meantime, 3250element, I don’t know if you’ve done this already but you can assign your own key command to “Add Ensemble” in Preferences>Key Commands. This obviously still only includes the ensembles included in Dorico by default, but I for one found having key commands for all 3 actions (add solo player, add section player, and add ensemble) really useful.