Feature Request Direct monitoring multiple MR816's

Raphie,

You answered your own question…

I run a 24 track studio here in Brisbane Australia and I record entire bands at once…

eg :

8 x drum mics
2 - 4 guitar mics
bass DI
Bass Amp Mic
3 vocals
2 - 4 keys lines

that is between 17 and 21 inputs simultaneously…

EVery musician needs to hear what they want to hear…

Therefore direct monitoring from every input to any output is required and is something i had previously with the O1X and i88x setup…

It is a necessity and not a RANT…

If the problem doesn’t affect you well thats great it DOES affect me and all the others who are getting the shits with this problem…

If it aint your problem stay out of the conversation unless you have some useful information to add to it…

once again STEINBERG PULL YOUR FINGER OUT AND ADDRESS THIS MAJOR FLAW IN DESIGN!!!

Greg

yes ok, if you need to drive all of that in parallel, you’ve got an issue.
What i am saying is that smart patching all sources that need direct monitoring being funneled through the first unit already helps some people, ofcourse once the first unit is full, the issue is back again.

So are there other vendors that provide this single driver stacking functionallity and do support multiple units AND direct monitoring on them all? i thought the multiple unit thing was an USP for these units?

u can also connect something like an ADA8000 to the ADAT ports and have 6 additonal inputs on the first unit

Connecting an ADA8000 would give 8 additional inputs and still doesn’t change the fact that the system is flawed…

Just because your work flow is limited in its needs other people such as myself do require more flexibility…

As I said before if you are not offering anything of worth there is no point in posting on this thread…

This thread is specifically asking for a feature and the fact that no one from steinberg is responding gives us the impressing that they don’t care about this feature missing…

I have multiple external preamps that I use at the same time into different inputs on the different MR816’s…

I cannot route all the inputs to a single pair of outputs…

this is a design fault…

Maybe it doesn’t affect you but it affects me and others so it sux that Steiny wont do anything about it…

I promise you the day you go to use 9 inputs at the same time you will swear and cuss the fact that this feature is missing… Till that day enjoy your workflow and I will keep waiting for Yamaha and Steinberg to get their act together…

Greg

To push my point…

Direct from steinbergs website

"EXTENDABLE SYSTEM
Developed using advanced technologies to offer seamless scalability, this mixing and recording system offers many options to increase the number of available inputs, preamps, outputs and DSP capability — all on the same FireWire port. Up to three MR816s can be used simultaneously by connecting them in daisy-chain fashion to a computer via IEEE1394 cables. The number of available channels for input and output across the system can be easily expanded simply by adding up to two more MR816s. The MR816 supports up to 48 input and output channels — using only one FireWire port on the computer. All connected I/Os are recognized by Cubase simultaneously, with no additional setup required. Cubase also automatically assigns the correct I/O port configuration for one, two or three units, depending on how many are connected. Even when multiple MR816s are connected, parameters such as those for digital audio input/output, Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip (MR816 CSX only) and REV-X are available for each device individually.

Because of the highly flexible driver architecture, both MR816 CSX and MR816 X models are fully compatible with each other and run daisy-chained together on the same system, allowing full flexibility in creating a customized system that offers the needed number of inputs, outputs and DSP capability."

Read the last paragraph… Not quite true is it!!!

“allowing full flexibility in creating a customized system that offers the needed number of inputs, outputs and DSP capability.”

I dont think so!

Greg

i don’t think you will be able implement direct monitoring without sacrificing a dedicated channel.
think of direct monitoring as a bypass, it will need a channel to get from unit B to A

from a marketing perspective above means nothing. one can argue that it’s quite obvious that a channel needs to be sacrificed to make this happen. as it being inherent to the direct monitoring technology.

Again I do agree with your point, but i don’t think the “be rude and shout loud” approach is the best one. What’s next start threathening with a class action?!? The unit functions as advertised.

Guess Steinberg / Yamaha needs to make a statement if this is possible at all and then maybe commit to implement it as an enhancement requested by it’s users.

it is possible and doesn’t require the sacrificing of any channels… its done digitally!

I used to be able to do this with the 01x and the i88x’s as i stated previously which are yamaha products!

If you patch an ADAT 8 pre unit into the ADAT in on the MR816 you can in fact feed all 8 of those inputs out the stereo out…

their statement of “Because of the highly flexible driver architecture, both MR816 CSX and MR816 X models are fully compatible with each other and run daisy-chained together on the same system, allowing full flexibility in creating a customized system that offers the needed number of inputs, outputs and DSP capability.” is simply not true…

I want inputs 9-16 of my setup to route to outputs 1 and 2 of my system…

As I said with the MLan driver architecture I was able to achieve this easily…

Yamaha since merging with Steinberg have dropped the ball!

Simple as that…

This didnt start off as a rude and shout loud it started as a polite request for a feature which is needed which was followed by no reply from steinberg…

Their approach of avoid and head in the sand is not cool…

All I want is an answer to the question…

Greg

I must say I agree with Greg. I bought my 2 816s right when they went on sale. I read the adds and the one-sheets, all of which promised full daisy-chained functionallity AND zero-latency monitoring. It simply wasn’t and isn’t true.
I first requested tech support and was told “we’ll get back to you.” Glad I didn’t hold my breath…
The ADAT “workaround” is pure B.S. and nothing but an attempt to cover-up what I consider blatant false advertising. I also believe they are well aware of the problem and fear disclosing there is (and will be ) NO fix fearing a class action suit.
Remember the old addage, “better to remain silent and have people think you a fool than open your mouth and prove it.” I think that’s pretty applicable here. With that in mind, Steinberg/Yamaha’s silence is totally understandable… What are they going to say? We lied, … you caught us, … sorry…
What’s even more annoying is that they continue to advertise the units making the same claims knowing full well they are bogus. Someone really should have sued them by now…

I just received my 2nd MR816CSX today and yes it sucks not being able to mix all inputs to any output. Very dissapointed even presonus products can do this. However, if you take the 2nd units spdif out and send it into the 1st units spdif in you can mix the 2nd units inputs and send to the 1st units inputs without using any analog channels or adat channels.In direct monitoring it works nice and I have 24 tracks to use at 96Khz with 2 reverbs. Now I have 26 total inputs to use for recording a 9 piece band in a live setting.

I have the same issue with an n12 and an MR816csx, except that it’s not even as convenient as as using the adat in/outs- the n12 doesn’t have them. With the Y/S FW Driver, I have to create a “Dummy” output in C6 and assign that to to the adat outs in the MR816. Then, on a track in C6, choose that output and put the track into direct monitor and then the signal will be sent to the headphone out on the MR816 . Then, TRS cable to stereo channel in on the n12.

PITA. It certainly doesn’t seem like it should be that difficult to provide a single path to monitor

I’ve sold my MR816x’s now running with RME HDSPe Raydat + SSL Madi AX + Ferrofish A16 MKII
will switch to RME HDSPe MADI next month

I’ve sold my MR816x’s now running with RME HDSPe Raydat + SSL Madi AX + Ferrofish A16 MKII

STILL NO RESPONSE FROM STEINY!!!

BUMP!

Hi, if direct monitoring is activated, does this mean that all the inputs are monitored through output 1/2?
And does it means that Unit #2 does the same.

That would make me think that connected the output 1/2 from bith units to a little mixer would fix the monitor mix issue.

Could this work?

Yes that does work, however for each mix you need a separate 4 channel mixer. if you want to run 4 independant stereo submixes, that’s 4 mixers to deal with. what about mono mixes, arg, now I need 8 2 channel mixers.

oh, and of course, only channel 1+2 get the effects applied. bloody useless for multiple monitor mixes, drummers and bass players like to hear reverb too!

I’m back to monitoring through cubase, this direct thing was a nice idea, but implemention didn’t work out. If I was a pro I’d be using RME products instead.

Well i was considering a 2nd mr816,but now im not sure.other units like motu,tc,rme offers much better routhing flexebility. the limit of real monitoring from all devices ,cant use all i\o at the same time(digital and analog) also cant send reverb to monitors(All outputs) is a real bummer.
the queastion is there anybody at steinberg planing to fix those issues,? :cry: they are slient and secret as if they build a nuclear weapon:? :exclamation:

The main reason for having the mr816 is the good ADDA conversion, It was a big deal last year regarding many of the gearslutzs! But the routing issue is damn frustrating! Also the missing of more dsp tools for direct monitoring like eq and compression is missed (though available on the CSX) and should be standard! :unamused:

I really don’t believe this will ever happen unfortunately. I too was disappointed to find this direct monitoring problem with 2 MR816s. I now use an RME Digiface with my 2 MR816s and it works beautifully.