Feature Request: Dorico Portable

Please produce Dorico Portable.

Do you mean a version of Dorico that can run from a removable drive so that you can take it to any computer and run it from there? If so, we’re not far from that possibility, aside from the eLicenser. Once we have left the eLicenser behind, perhaps we’ll take a look at making this possible.

2 Likes

If I understand correctly, some portable versions of software are made in a way that they can be executed from an external drive while retaining all settings within that drive or folder located therein, so they can be opened from any computer with those settings.

Does the soft e-licenser allow Dorico to be run from an external boot volume on different computers?

I’d be interested to know what the use case is for “Dorico Portable”, that is not met by using a dongle (or future replacement licensing scheme).

No, the Soft-eLicenser doesn’t support those kinds of use cases: the Soft-eLicenser is tied to a particular computer.

Do you mean a version of Dorico that can run from a removable drive so that you can take it to any computer and run it from there?

@dspreadbury, thank you for replying so quickly. Yes, this is the feature request exactly.

I’d be interested to know what the use case is for “Dorico Portable”, that is not met by using a dongle (or future replacement licensing scheme).

@benwiggy, with a portable version, you could maintain a single installation exactly as you want, with all settings, plugins, etc. configured precisely as you like.

For those who frequently work on different computers, replicating that setup via the traditional install process is time-consuming and often needlessly laborious, especially if the OS environments are substantially different between machines.

Even for those who don’t frequently work on different computers, a portable Dorico would make it much easier (at least on Windows) to migrate when you acquire a new machine.

With the new fast thunderbolt NVMe M.2 disks this could run really fast. Even the Samsung T7 on usbC might run with enough speed.

@dspreadbury Revisiting this topic in 2023…
What’s the state of the art of portability for Dorico 5? :slight_smile:

It’s probably still not quite possible, unfortunately, because the Steinberg License Engine expects to read the licenses from a specific location on the boot drive rather than on the removable media. I don’t think it’s possible to redirect this in a sensible way at present, but I will raise this with my colleagues who are working on Steinberg Licensing and see what they think about it.

1 Like