FEATURE REQUEST: Dynamic Cues

DYNAMIC CUES

Is there a possibility that a dynamic cue feature will be added to Dorico?

(Dynamic in the sense that cues will update them selves after the source material is changed (not to be confused with volume of playing)
It would be great to have the possibility of a cue system that automatically updates when the original instrument material changes. This way it would solve the issue of having to remember to update a cue manually if the original material changes.
(Just for clarity, a cue is a small passage from another instrumentalist’s score that is inserted into the current instrumentalists part, to help them keep track of where they are, especially after many bars rest)

Essentially, I would really like it if cues are implemented into the software in a different way to what they have been in the past: not as copy and paste, but instead as selections that enable data to flow through them.

It would be fantastic if:

*Cues work by highlighting a source, and highlighting a destination. The material could then flow freely through the predetermined selections, and the destination could update every time the source material is changed, without affecting the selection areas.

*One source could be posted to several destinations: e.g, a bassoon solo could be sent to a trombone part and a flute part and each would update if the bassoon melody is changed after the cue is created.

*You can select all the cues individually from a list after they have been created, and a highlight shows the source and destination selection for each one (sort of like groups for cues). You could then modify the selection areas if you wanted

*Cues automatically are styled and spaced in a clear and neat way, and all clefs update automatically to accommodate the cue material, AND RESET BACK AFTER THE CUE HAS FINISHED! (Sibelius was guilty of not resetting the clefs back after a cue, especially after part extraction)

*There could be global cue styling options, so that if you want the cue to have text above it to describe which instrument it has come from, you can.

THE ORIGINAL SIBELIUS ISSUE:

*Cues in the past through Sibelius were very slow going: it was essentially a glorified copy and paste feature, and it took a very long time to create anything effective, and everything had to be remembered and updated manually if the source instrument material changed.

*One cue for multiple destinations had to be copied manually one at a time, making the process very slow.

*After a cue was pasted onto an instrument, it would often leave the cue’s preferred clef within the instrumental part after extraction. For example, a flute part has a double bass cue within it, and after the flute part was extracted from the full score, the double bass clef would remain on the flute part after the double bass cue, making the flute part unreadable.

I would be really interested to hear what you think, of if there are any ideas currently in development for this. The original cueing system in Sibelis took so much time, and I am really enthused by the possibility of how good it could be in DORICO.

Wow!
+1

Given the team’s stated commitment to truly robust and intelligent features, this sounds like exactly the sort of thing I’d hope they do.

A system like this would actually have other uses as well. At least, I can imagine it being very helpful for parts which largely double each other. Have them hooked up and then you don’t have to remember to edit both of them when making changes.

:smiley: I think Robby’s ideas are fantastic and would love to see them implemented eventually. (Realizing it can’t be very soon!)

Great idea!

Daniel in fact has obliquely mentioned this is in the works for the future – I think he called then “blocks.” My only concern is still allowing us to create composite cues when we want to (e.g., “Strings”).

This sounds really interesting. I am guessing that there would have to be a way to be able to edit the resulting duplicated music in case one of the lines needs to be slightly different to the other; that way most material could be used but with one or two tweaks? Perhaps a third highlight colour could be for data that is duplicated then modified.

Maybe there is a bit of irony in the fact that the latest update to Finale has finally removed its “Mirror Tool” which did something like this. Well, that’s what the documentation said - I suspect nobody ever actually used it in anger, and the basic version only worked on one complete bar of notes at a time, which isn’t exactly what you want for adding cues!

Actually, Lilypond can do it already - but that takes “user friendly” into a parallel universe for most people.

Lilypond has the kind of power that lies beneath LaTeX, and it IS powerful. But I admit that, although I have absolutely adopted XeLaTeX for every word edition I make, I could not switch to Lilypond. When editing an opera, the source becomes really too far from the output — which is not true when it is about text.
This is why I am so excited with Dorico. I feel it has the same kind of power inside, but with a great GUI.

I found Lilypond exhilarating to use for anything vaguely complicated. Every page felt like I’d won the Olympics! I found that it almost completely disconnected my ‘musical’ brain…

Hi there, I was just wondering of there has been any progress in terms of Cues in the 1.1 update? I have looked but as of yet cant find any.

Thanks

Rob

Daniel has written very lately that they are working on that right now ! So it might be present in the next major update, or the following one, I guess…

Robby 12, see Daniel’s comment from this morning: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=118741#p659353

Thanks Pianoleo, I was just looking for that link :wink:

Ahh fantastic! I am looking forward to that feature in the future. Thanks Pianoleo and MarcLarcher

https://youtu.be/R3BJU3x2SU8

Amazing! Thank you Dorico team