Feature Request: "Filter __" Pop-Over

As handy as my stream deck set up is right now, what would be even more handy is a Pop-over that can select what I put in there.

I love the Pop-Overs in Dorico, and would love to select specific objects as easily as I can do other things with them.

3 Likes

You mean the Select More feature without initially selecting an item? Or the Filter function without having already selected a passage?

Sorry, I mean filter, having already selected a passage.

This is a really interesting idea. I’m surprised no one (that I’ve read anyway) has proposed this sooner.

+1

Nice idea. Following.

if you do this, perhaps add keep(+)/remove(-) operators ?

ie,
select +(forward from cursor) …# up|dn|backwards etc… skip if selection already active, +/- relative to current selection
filter +(upper voice)
filter -(quarter notes)
filter +(slurs)

could add booleans { +((upper voice) || (lower voice)) } but perhaps that’s going too far.

I’m not sure how much this filter popover would actually help. We already have the filter command in the contextual pop-up menu (which I just realized - I wish I had known this earlier!). It seems just as fast, at least on my laptop, to invoke the pop-up menu as it would be to invoke a popover.

Also, on Mac, if you type the first letter of an item in the contextual menu, it’s immediately selected. So in some ways this seems actually faster than a popover; and you don’t have to remember what to type, once you are in the popover.

I would disagree with you. I think some elements of the Context Menu could be further broken down into a pop-over, e.g. “note c##” (for C double sharp or something) or simply writing “trill” into a pop-over and thereby selecting all trills (and not other elements), etc.

Oh, Yes
So I could finally have all those filter-options back, my former music-app had. And what a smooth way to handle the filtering, without learning any shortcuts. Thumbs up here!

or simply writing “trill” into a pop-over and thereby selecting all trills (and not other elements), etc

I just tried this:

1. Invoke contextual menu, after making a selection
  2. Type F for filter
  3. Type O for Ornaments and Trills
  4. Arrow down to get past “octave lines”

I’m not sure how much slower this is than invoking a popover and typing Trill. But, it’s always good to have more than one way of doing something. It doesn’t seem urgent to me, though; more like something that would be nice to have. Just my 2 cents!

This is an amazing idea and I hope they implement it! +1!
Once you invoke this “filter” popover, you could type e.g. “dyn” for all dynamics, “grad dyn” for gradual dynamics, etc. This would be a really smart time saver.

1 Like

I know this is an old request, but +1 for this feature! I’d love to have a pop-over which acts as almost like a “search” bar - and just type whatever I’m searching for to automatically filter.

It’s not really a universal popover, but there is now the jump bar which lets you perform all sorts of menu item actions and access specific pages in options dialogs:

1 Like

Ah ok I’ve used the jump bar before but I wasn’t aware you could have it filter items. That’s pretty cool.

To take it to the next level, it would be cool in a future release if there was a syntax where you could get more specific almost like a search or find & replace function in a word processor.

For example, let’s say you have various dynamics in a few bars. Now you can filter all dynamics, immediate dynamics, or gradual dynamics. It would be great if you could be more specific and filter to just pp or only f.

So maybe in the jump bar that syntax would look like -

filter dyn: pp

(or something like that)

Taken to the next level a find & replace type menu or function you could have one field which lets you search (all instances of pp) and the second field replace with the desired change (change all to mf). A mini pop-up sorta like this -

I was also thinking this could be useful for filtering by notes rather than taking me to the notes & pitch pop-up window. A very simple syntax such as:

select notes: g#

or

deselect: eb

or if desired specifically to an octave -

deselect: eb4

Basically as a way of talking to the software. I imagine such a simplified syntax would default to whatever the score is currently set to (concert or transposed). And obviously if a user wishes to access the more advanced filtering options for notes & pitch they can always still go to that menu.

Just spitballing ideas but I think developing an easy syntax to be able to “search” in a more specific way within the jump bar would be awesome!

Very interesting idea.

It would be very useful to filter by objects properties (eg accentuated note, fingerings…), by rhythmic value, or by playing technics

1 Like

wow, after so many years guys :joy: but really thank you. I still want this.

1 Like