Feature request: FREEZE ALL SELECTED

Aptmusic9,

Are you using Symphonic Choirs in this project? I’m currently working on a 7:00 min cue and I just got clicks on my bounces unless I render in real time. The solution was to bounce the choir in real time (choosing the option to re-import back into project) and then render the rest with fast bounce. Don’t forget to mute the bounced track once you have rendered it. Worked here :slight_smile:

HTH

Another good reason to keep freeze (and use it) as a feature, no matter how powerful or “pro” your set up is, is for vsti’s which use random samples as part of their functionality. Eg EZ drummer, superior Drummer etc.
If you don’t freeze, or export/import, each time you playback you’re hearing slightly different variations. I find it much better to freeze a vsti like that so I know that each playback is exactly. I just freeze the instrument and not the channel so I can automate,eq,mix properly.
Freezing is a better solution for this than export/import, especially on multi vsti’s. Unfreeze works quickly if you want to rearrange a part and keeps things nice and tidy.

I totally support the adding of the ability to freeze more than one track/instrument at a time.

Performance issues aside (I just upgraded to i7quad at 3.6ghz, 16 gig ram,ssd drives), freeze will still remain a part of my workflow. Please don’t lose it Steinberg!

+1

I don’t think so…Currently there is a key command for most things on the inspector window, like solo, mute, record etc. but strangely there is no key command for freeze. If at the very least we got a key command for freeze that would help me create a macro myself using a series of “Down arrow, Freeze track, Enter” commands 100 times.

So in general I’m hoping to get Steinberg’s attention in regard to key commands in general. They already have key commands done for 75% of the things, and it’s these newer features like freeze where they seemingly forgot to implement key commands for. Seems like it would be fairly easy to do.

I too, would really appreciate the ability to quickly freeze and unfreeze multiple tracks, at once.

+1 for this feature from me too.

+1

Why?

Me? Because watching paint dry sucks.

I have to use Freeze a lot due to the lack of CPU horsepower of my Saffire Pro 40 and the fact that I average 30-50 tracks per song. So, let’s say for instance, I have a half dozen backing vocals that I want to edit for [insert reason].

Option 1:

1. Unfreeze x6
  2. Edit
  3. Freeze & wait x6 before I can listen (or I get horrendous crackling). And as Tom Petty put it so aptly, the waiting is the hardest part.
  4. Repeat ad nauseum until it sounds right

Option 2:

1. Select 6 tracks, click Unfreeze
  2. Edit
  3. Select 6 tracks and click Freeze
  4. Step out for an ear break, some air, a smoke, a drink, afternoon delight, etc
  5. Listen, rinse and repeat

The whole purpose of software is to automate all the tedious repetitive crap in order to focus on the music. This feature would further enable me to do just that.

Um…why not?

“Why can’t frozen tracks be soloed or muted?”

They can if they are audio or instrument tracks. You can also edit the automation. If you are using MIDI tracks, then you can use the solo and mute of the MIDI instrument channel.

Freeze & wait x6 before I can listen (or I get horrendous crackling). And as Tom Petty put it so aptly, the waiting is the hardest part.

What’s your sample rate? If you get crackles then raise the sample rate (for playback, not recording of course and not too much 256 should do 512 at a pinch, strange things can happen at the 1024 and over). Would that interfere with other processes that you are doing? FX etc. say.

Frozen tracks will not behave the same way as usual tracks otherwise everything would be frozen from the off.
Waiting is part of music. Unfortunately computers ease some tasks while creating others for us.

ps: Thanks for answering. You’d be surprised how many don’t.

I’m sure Conman is really talking about the buffer size and not the sample rate.

BTW: although I don’t use freeze at all, I can fully understand the request, as it makes a lot of sense in many situations that are easily imaginable. So without being affected myself I support the request (and don’t complain about it).

I only get the crackling when I start getting close to maxing out CPU. I’m used to freezing and so far it’s enabled me to use over 45 tracks with a stupid amount of simultaneous plugins. I even record and freeze my outboard HW FX. And I still like it better than when I was using ProTools 4 with 8 tracks and had to submix and bounce in real time.

BTW - the 6 tracks was me mixing last night, and there were anywhere from 3-5 plugins per track plus a few instrument tracks and 2 external FX busses.

Either way, I am satisfied with my setup but this is one feature I would definitely use.

Correct, thanks. I’ll go and dye my hair blonde. :blush:

butt load o’ free plugins

in signature.
I’d check these out for a cause of crackles. Your rig and spec and track + FX don’t look over the top to me. I think you should be getting acceptable performance. Try without those freebies.
And a defrag? I try to do one a week as well as the scheduled one. And disk Cleanup? Ditto.
As Cubase runs look at your drive performances.

+1!

I’m also on a Delta Dawn PC whose glory days are long gone (see sig), and so am prone to crackles. FWIW, what I do is:

1) When I need a 256 buffer size for low latency (like recording to backing tracks):
A. I find that if I minimize the graphics that are moving I can get much farther along without crackles. For me, this might mean zooming out, even to the point of CTRL/CMD ‘F’ so only the cursor is moving.

The ultimate is no graphics moving at all - to do this I collapse the Cubase window to just a little rectangle (not minimize it, but drag the borders inward), BTW, it’s not a graphics card issue as I found out when I replaced the original graphics card, it’s the CPU usage on Windows Task manager.

B. Another way I get around crackles is to bounce all the backing tracks to 1 audio file, then Disable the individual audio tracks (MIDI tracks don’t seem to add to CPU to any visible amount).
2. When I don’t need a 256 buffer size for low latency:
For example, if I’m editing, I put the buffer way out. I do run into a problem with that though, maybe someone can help me here - when the buffer is way out the cursor during play is too far off from the audio for me to be able to do things like stop playback right at a certain point in the audio. So things like Time Warp are tough.

I’ve never tried the “freeze” button, except just to see that it works - I’ll have to check that out and see if it’s faster/easier!

I have seen this topic for a while and now I see the benefit…
+1
Even if you only have to freeze 2 or 3 tracks, it would be nice to walk away for a few minutes while it works.
J.L.

1 Like

I agree that it would be a good time saver but mostly a very much convenient option. Instead of having to click every track for freezing you could wait while Cubase does it all and go do something else.
All of this has just been said and so there’s no point in keeping point the obvious.

However I really couldn’t resist an inner strong desire to reply to Conman on this post and his self-centered views on this.
Man, nothing personal but why would you come to a post about the freezing option (and this is not the first I see you in) to say to everyone that they don’t need it.

First, let me say, if anyone wants to have 100 or 200 tracks is not really your place to ask the question: “Why would you have 100 tracks?” I think I don’t have to explain anything else about this, you’re probably clever enough to understand that the music one makes and the way they do it is about them until they ask for your help.

Second, let me tell you, you have no idea what you’re talking about when you suggest that people don’t use the freeze option. Just for argument sake: I have a i5 quadcore, 16gb ram, and an audiofire2 as audio interface. If I have, let’s say 5 tracks for the strings (VSL Apassionata Strings) so 2 violins, violas, cellos and basses, I don’t know if you know this but strings as a very expressive instrument require a fair amount of different articulations, so more ram. Now lets say I want a piano… Piano and strings, not that big of an arrangement is it? So I really like east west piano, so I use that one.
Now, as inserts go… everyone needs reverb, I’m guessing you’l agree on this, and damn me, I really prefer Convolution Reverb rather than algorithmic.
Darn, I’m screwed I have to use Vienna MIR as an insert for every track, but wait my CPU usage is raising a lot. So maybe and to do a simple arrangement that sounds good I have to buy a computer that follows my sample libraries needs. No using the freeze option. No that’s out of the question, cus you Conman say thats not a good procedure, because I’m working in a home studio and so I have to use the strings from Halion symphonic and cubase’s piano.

Now if I had a 50000 bucks studio then I could make better strings and for now I’ll just hope that anyone wants to hire me with music that sounds synthetic and unrealistic.
Oh what the hell, doesnt matter, I have my talent so maybe I’ll just say to them,
-believe me if you buy me a 5000 computer I can do good music.

Conman man, believe me, is a one man show these days, and if a guy manages to have the best sound possible in his home studio, he should go for it and impress the way out of his clients, because that is the way of having that 5000 computer.

Now don’t come here, to a topic you don’t care (at least doesnt seem like you do) and say to everyone:
-Hey dont waste your money on sample libraries, go and buy a slave computer,
because,
that is a good idea, I totally agree with you on this one, having that slave 8core bastard with 64gb of ram is a pretty sweet dream. But I plan to get there with my money, money I earn from music, money that allowed me to have the computer I have now, the SAMPLE LIBRARIES I have now.
I’l get there and I hope you do to, but in the meantime, do you mind us using the freeze function, the ones who like it? Do you Conman? Please Conman, I like my strings so much.

As for the slected freeze feautre, I’m waiting for it, and I’ll give Steinberg all the time in the world, they have made my journey in music very pleasant so far. Cubase is an amazing daw, and I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world. :wink:

+1

This is a big problem. In Ableton I can select as many tracks as I want and right click them to select “freeze tracks”. It is a priceless option and I’m really disappointed that SB is so behind on this. (They’re behind ableton in many areas). I moved to cubase to increase my workflow potential but this really puts a damper on that :frowning:

I still didn’t see shortcut key for batch freezing / unfreezing tracks in Cubase Pro 8.5. Searched google and found this thread filled with Conman’s non-stop taunts to other people. Unfortunately, one like him certainly won’t listen to a lecture. That’s why I just reported some of his replies.