FEATURE REQUEST: Latch End Duration of tie chain

Hi Dorico team and community, a feature that would really speed up my work flow is:

*The ability to have a latch mode which enables the forced altering of the rhythmic duration of an end note in a tie chain, without effecting the whole chain.

I can see the benefit of considering the tie chain as one value, but a latch mode to make the editing process of this specific task, would be better. I looked at the previous thread about the issue here:

Seeming as it is a 6 step process curently, and used to be a two step process on Sibelius, I thought a tie latch mode would be the best way foreword. Would you agree?

Perhaps it could be a quick key command, similar to force rhythmic duration?

Can I clarify what you’re asking for, Robby? You want to be able to change the duration of only the last note in a tie chain, without ever changing the rhythmic grouping of any notes earlier in the tie chain?

+1
This would be useful to me.

Hi Daniel thanks for getting back to me.

I have developed the idea a bit over the last day, and have attached an example. Please see screen grab. Perhaps the user could change any note they wish to within the tie chain. A kind of (NEW) TIE INSERT MODE

EXAMPLE 1
*The user activates the new mode
*They could then be able to select only the crotchet (it still being tied to the triplet quaver), and only the crotchet turns yellow
*They could then change the value of the crotchet to a minim, without effecting the triplet quaver
*The end result would be a triplet quaver tied to a minim

EXAMPLE 2
*They could then be able to select only the crotchet in bar 3 (it still being tied to the semiquaver and triplet quaver), and only the crotchet turns yellow
*They could then change the value of the crotchet to a minim (resulting in the triplet shifting to the third beat of bar 3, and the resulting rhythmic chain being: a semiquaver tied to a minim tied to a triplet quaver.
// OR //
*The user could delete the crotchet entirely, and the result is the triplet gets shifted to the beginning of bar three, and is tied to the semiquaver in the previous bar.

EXAMPLE 2 in a different scenario using ALT and Arrow keys
*They can select only the semiquaver in bar 2, with it still being tied to the crotchet in bar 3
*They can then press ALT and [the left arrow key] to augment the semiquaver to start a 16th note earlier of bar two, (augmenting it’s value to a quaver, because it is part of a tie chain).
*The result is a quaver (at the end of bar 2), tied to a crotchet (bar 3), tied to a triplet quaver

Afterthought: : (NEW) TIE INSERT MODE and INSERT MODE as two seperate functions

I had a thought about (new) tie insert mode, just being implemented as part of normal insert mode, but realised this would lead to complications about how notes outside the tie chain are affected…

See screen grab 2:

Lets say you want to augment the value of triplet quaver in bar 2 (using new tie insert mode) to a crotchet. Would you want the minim after it in bar three to shift right by the same value that has been altered inside the tie chain?

My feeling is, that normal insert mode would be better kept as a separate function, and could be activated in conjunction with the (NEW) TIE INSERT MODE, if needs be.

*The user could use: (NEW) TIE INSERT MODE , with normal insert mode deactivated, in order to change the value of the triplet quaver in bar 2, without affecting the position of the minim

*The user could use: (NEW) TIE INSERT , in conjunction with normal insert mode activated, in order for the minim to shift right by the amount that the tie chain is augmented by, with the two triplet quaver rests between the end of the tie chain and the minim

My sugestion: (NEW) TIE INSERT MODE and INSERT MODE as two seperate functions