Feature Request - Master section preset - remember exact slots?

Jeez. That is exactly NOT the case here. One expects (rightly) that a preset gets recalled exact the same way as it was stored. That IS the exact reason for a preset, or not ?

Yep, and that is exactly what WL does. Sonically the preset is exactly the same - empty slots do nothing so can be cleaned up at saving the preset. And I like WL for doing so.

To the OP though: since I never use it, doesn’t WL remember the Input Plugin being in slot 1, or not at all? In other words, when you save your Master Section preset with the Input Plugin in place, wouldn’t it load back again at opening the preset?

Not sure, but there’s no way to bypass the input plugin, so I’d rather not save presets with it. If the input plugin was bypassable like every other plugin, I’d save it in the master section all the time.

As far as I can tell WL does save the preset but without the spaces and it does remember the order. I like the current way WL works. My problem is that more and more individuals on this forum are asking to have WL redone or customized to suit them or their way of working. As I stated previously I use a lot of audio and video software and I really don’t need to have the basic way it works changed to suit my way of working. If there is something that will benefit all WL users then I am all for it. I don’t want to start any forum fights but I also don’t want to see WL become bloated and a can do everything program when it is clearly DESIGNED for mastering and post production. FWIW

Maybe someday the input plug-in will be bypassable… then I won’t care if presets are saved the way they are currently, or saved exactly. Instead of an “input plugin”, I’d prefer if there was just an input-monitor switch on the master section that was bypassable (like the monitor switch on tracks in Cubase while recording).

If you use the input plug-in on a regular basis like I do, that’s why it’s an issue.

Great idea!

I don’t think anyone was ever asking for multitrack recording like one thinks of it in Pro Tools, but more track routing and input montoring vs. track playback, and basic track functions in the main album workspace (the Montage in Wavelab’s case) as in other mastering programs, with additional tracks even if only for extra working space and comparison and verification functions. Sonic and Sadie have always had this capability, and Pyramix and Sequoia followed, so I don’t think it’s too much to ask in Wavelab. But you have to extend that to surround because the other programs do, and there are still many multichannel surround requests, so in that respect it could be worded to extend to “multitrack”, although the main request has been multichannel files on multichannel tracks.

Wavelab doesn’t have source-destination editing and comprehensive crossfade editors like the others (an absolute necessity in a pro mastering program in the old days and still for many people), and possibly never will, but basic track routing and track functions in the montage has been too limited and would benefit from change for the future imo. Even just for source-destination you need multiple tracks.

Multitrack recording to the extent it’s used and useful in mastering, as in the other programs.

I would love to see source-destination editing in WL. One of the great things about Sound Designer II, the mastering program I started with, was the editing window. Multi-track montage is something I use everyday when doing classical editing. What I was referring to in my posts is the notion by some WL users that WL should become a full multi-track recording and playback DAW and it was not designed for that. There is other software that is designed specifically for multi-track recording and editing. You mentioned some of them in your reply. I use Samplitude for multi-track recording and playback if I need it. Sonar was just re-released as a free DAW and it is a very good multi-track DAW. Cubase from Steinberg is also a GREAT multi-track DAW. Lets not “muck up” WL with a lot of add ons and changes that will make it less suitable for mastering…FWIW