Feature Request - More view options in Gallery View

Hi,

I have assigned several instruments of my orchestral template in “Setup” to different Groups like “Wood, Brass, Strings etc…”
What would be cool in Gallery View is the option to Hide / Show the different Groups for a better overview when voicing chord etc. between different groups…

Thanks, lokotus

Yes, we plan to do this in future. For now you may find it helpful to set up custom layouts containing subsets of the instruments you’re interested in, and then switch between those using the layout selector in the toolbar.

thanks, custom layouts is indeed a possible workaround

Unfortunately, I have tried this out and its not really possible. I have like 100 bars in the orchestral full score. Now I have made A custom Layout for the strings section together with the flutes section.

Whenever I like to work in gallery view and type ongoing notes, melodies etc. Dorico shows me multirests for the rest of the score, making it impossible to inserting new material. It just doesn’t make sense for me why Dorico would display multirests even in gallery view - this view is supposed to be there for fast and continuous writing, correct ? Maybe there is an option I am missing ?

THanks, lokotus

“Whenever I like to work in gallery view and type ongoing notes, melodies etc. Dorico shows me multirests for the rest of the score, making it impossible to inserting new material.”

You can still add music with multi-rests turned on. Just use the arrow key to advance to the very start of the multi-rest measure and go to it. (Try it, you may like it)! But it is also possible to turn multi-rests off for any layout. And you can do this to many layouts at once by having them all selected before engaging the option. Full Score Gallery view will not show multi-measure rests, but the parts can be independently set to show or not show in either Galley or Page view.

If you are adding music to the end of a flow in which there are empty measures (like in your example), you will see a multi-bar tacet al fine, or the traditional bar count multi-rest (configurable in Engraving Options - Rests), but you can still add music to this multi-bar section as described above. As you do so, measures will be drawn to accommodate the music as you go. It feels a little strange at first… then liberating! :slight_smile:

It sounds like your feature request is that Dorico could include an option to have just empty bars show at the end of a flow that is not a Full Score layout, as I don’t believe that’s possible now.

I hope this helps!

I’ve found that setting up different layouts for this is a breeze in Dorico and works really well for working on a subset of a score. Coming from F. this is a great improvement to workflow.

Yea so my feature request would be: Please give us the option to not display any multi rests in gallery view. There is really no need for it.

The workaround that musicmaven suggests “You can still add music with multi-rests turned on. Just use the arrow key to advance to the very start of the multi-rest measure and go to it.” does not really work well here. Als changing settings in engraving mode just to get the correct gallery view (which is only for fast writing/ composing) is a bit cumbersome for every single instrument part…

Cheers, lokotus

“is a bit cumbersome for every single instrument part…”

Hi lokotus,

As I said earlier, this can be done for all parts at the same time, by selecting the parts (just one click) and turning off multi-rests. This is done in Layout Options. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

turn off multi-rests.png

lokotus, – I think I solved your issue!

I just figured out something you may find that is very helpful. When you created your custom layout of strings and flute section you must have clicked on the “Add Instrumental Part Layout” button (the 2nd one) and therefore seeing the multi-bar rests or tacet al fine to the end of the flow (because it is a part layout). If you had clicked on the first icon that looks like a Conductor, (“Add Full Score Layout”), you will not have to deal with seeing multi-bar rests as you add music when in Galley View! I like to think of this as a “working score” and literally name it just that. Then I just change what instruments I’d like to work on by showing or hiding them. That is what steveparker is talking about. This doesn’t negate the fact that my other posts show alternate ways of achieving your original goal: add music to a specialized layout in Galley view. They all work. The user has several choices as to how they want to work, and it is so refreshing that even in a young program such as Dorico, there are often several ways to achieve a result!

In any event, I think this (Add Full Score Layout) is what you want! :slight_smile:

wow thanks, you should get paid for giving support like this :laughing: nice workaround :+1:

Only glad to help!

I find myself working in Galley View more and more - for me it’s so much more conducive to writing there than in Page View where I personally find it all too easy to be distracted by a need to have it looking perfect. I have a template set up for Galley View with around 10 instruments (at least half of which must be piano) where I can jot down and refine ideas for melodies, chords and accompaniment (I’m usually writing songs). None of it conforms to existing groups so separation between the staves isn’t logical but the best I can make it!

While there’s quite a bit of stuff I’d like to see developed in Galley View - I’m certainly up for the Hiding option outlined in the first post above - what I’d like more than anything is to be able to use it as an alternative layout within Play Mode. Over in the left where the instruments are listed I’d like to be able to mute and solo and change volume on the fly, edit VST’s to get different instruments etc. And from there, if I need to drill down to a particular instrument to edit length, expression or articulations I can either switch to the Piano Roll View or, better still, have that instrument appear on its own in an expanded Piano Roll view.